Clear all

Set up?

9 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@lucille)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I bought a used guitar and the action is too high. I thought it would be a good idea to bring it somewhere and have it set up. But I do not want to entrust my guitar to just anyone. I looked at comments purportedly made about some local guitar places (I live South of Houston) and at first was delighted until I saw the same comments made at site after site, looked like a paid shill after a while, and then I saw a negative comment as well. It is just too easy to have paid comments create a good rep where there is none, and a newbie can't really judge.
Angie's List really does not yet have critiques on these places even though I find it to be a trustworthy site.

So even though I am new, I'm thinking of doing a setup myself. A good experienced luthier willing to do a setup would obviously be better that me attempting this on my own, but a crappy place could damage my guitar.
Anyone here ever do their own setup when they were new?

(@ezraplaysezra)
Honorable Member

Its not difficult and there are very few things that you can do to really foul up a guitar. You need some patience and the right tools and if you have the right tools the patience piece isn't that important.
Check out some sites - guitarnutz is a good one.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

It is dooable, and eaven if you dont master it, just learning the steps invalved will make you a informed shopper.

Is it a electric or accustic guitar?

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@lucille)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

It is acoustic, and I have a new package of strings already. I think I'll give it a try after doing some reading :mrgreen: Thank you for your replies.

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Where about on the south side are you? I live north, in The Woodlands, and there are a couple of good places up that way. Texas Music Emporium and Nedd's Guitars. I'd stay away from Guitar Center though.

ReplyQuote
(@lucille)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am near Clear Lake. I've been doing a lot of reading and I think that if I am careful, I can do this myself. And as long as I am careful, it looks like I can't do any extreme damage.

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

I am near Clear Lake. I've been doing a lot of reading and I think that if I am careful, I can do this myself. And as long as I am careful, it looks like I can't do any extreme damage.
I agree. Unless you beat on the trussrod, and realy crank on it, there is realy not much thats going to hurt it. Agean... I think all players should learn how its done... eaven if you choose not to do it yourself, being informed on how its done, can help you explane what you want when you bring it somewere.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@lucille)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I did it. Left the truss alone, just sanded the bottom of the bridge saddle, restrung and tuned. An improvement. And more than that, a very small achievement. Each small achievement helps.

ReplyQuote
(@rsadler)
Reputable Member

Good job!! It's good to be able to do some of that type your self, and save some money :)

ReplyQuote