Clear all

Seymour Duncan 59s

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Does anyone use the Seymour Duncan 59s in the bridge or neck?
I'm most likely going to put a pair in my Sheraton but was just wondering if anyone had any experience with them. I called the guitar tech/luthier at a local guitar store and he said that a new tech was going to be starting in 3 weeks so it seems as if I'll be waiting to get them installed. I would do it myself but I am horrible at soldering and installing in a semi hollow would surely give me nightmares.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Duncan makes both neck and bridge versions of the 59 (SH-1)

Link: http://www.zzounds.com/item--SEMSH1

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Yeah I saw they did, I was just wondering if anyone had experience with them. I'm a little afraid of using such a low output in the bridge. I have the jb/jazz set on a guitar and 57 classics on another, I'm assuming it will be close in sound to the 57 classics according to the output levels and what they are based on.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

57 Classics by Gibson?

Are you happy with the 57 bridge pup?

The 57's may have similar resistance numbers to the 59's, and both may [supposedly] be based on Gibson's PAF style HB's,
though the SD 59's use an AlNiCo V magnet while the 57's use the weaker AlNiCo II magnet (AlNiCo II's were what they used in the real PAF's)

That means that in order to get those similar numbers, they would probably have to be wound differently. (I think)

I guess it would depend on how good your ear for tone is - I would expect the 57's to be a bit sweeter than the 59's,
as well as perhaps a bit brighter sounding - less muddy.
While the 59's might sound a bit thicker, with a bit more bottom to 'em.

Since you're going to put the set in, I would think that the balance between the Neck/Bridge pups would be good.

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

My Epi SG G-400 has a SD '59 in the neck and a Duncan Distortion in the bridge. Part of my infamous make-my-epi-as-expensive-as-a-Gibson-Faded project. :oops:

I liked it well enough, but never got to play around with it much. I picked the guitar up from the shop right about the time the ear started with it's little episode. All's I do with it right now is low volume-clean. I did test it out and sure enough, it did give me what I was looking for. I nice classic rock bite to it, like AC/DC. It can scream on lead stuff too. I just have not been able to play loud since right after I got them.

The biggest reason I even bothered to post this was that at the time, my guitar shop where I bought the pick-ups was running a special deal with SD. You could test drive the new pick-ups for up to 30 days. If you didn't like them, you could get them replaced with other SDs, paying only labor. I wonder if they still have that program?

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Citizenoir: I was only assuming on the resistance levels because they were both based on the paf. I also noticed that the magnets were different but I admit I have no clue what all the different magnets do. I like the bridge pup but it doesn't have the exact tone I'm looking for, it sometimes feels a little weak. I don't know if weak is the right word but I'm not to good at describing "tone" in words. I'll compare the two pickups in both guitars after I'm done and see which one I prefer.

I found a lot of reviews online/youtube with the 59 in the neck and I liked the sound but not too many with the bridge and it concerned me a little.

rparker: I heard that the company had a program like that. I heard that if you didn't like the pickup you could send it back and get something else. Don't know if that is true but it seems like it would be nice if you didn't like a pickup. These are going in a semi hollow so I'm hopefully not gonna remove them anytime soon.

ReplyQuote
(@citizennoir)
Noble Member

Yeah, I would guess that Gibson has a patent on the 'patent applied for' pup design :P
So, other pup companies can make a HB type pup, with similar numbers - only have to arrive there
with different materials.

In the case of the actual Gibbo PAF w/AlNiCo II mags.... the bar magnet on the bottom of the pup
will have less 'pull' than one with a stronger mag (the higher the number, the stronger it is).
That means, that the string will have less magnetic force 'pulling' on it, thus allowing it to vibrate longer/more.
So, with an AlNiCo II magnet, the sustain will be more of an acoustic thing.... rather than a more powerful
electronic type of sustain.

The magnet strength also changes the tone quite a bit.... weaker magnets have more high end to them;
The AlNiCo III mag SC pups that Fender originally used in the 50's were quite a bit brighter than the V's they use now.
Weak ceramic bar mags (especially if trying to emulate SC pups) have a bright to brittle/metallic sound.
AlNiCo II HB's will be somewhat 'brighter' than AlNiCo V HB's.
(Which may be what you're describing as 'weak'.... so, perhaps the darker tone of the 59's will appeal more to you).

Of course (like with photography), everything is a trade off.... The II's will have better note separation and chordal clarity
to them, while the V's may seem to muddy up (probably more noticable at higher guitar volumes).

I guess we'll have to wait and see - Keep us posted as to the A/B between the 57's/59's.... i'd be interested to hear.

Oh, and.... Nice avatar 8)
Peter Green's my favorite :D

Ken

"The man who has begun to live more seriously within
begins to live more simply without"
-Ernest Hemingway

"A genuine individual is an outright nuisance in a factory"
-Orson Welles

ReplyQuote