shave bridge?

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Hi,

I just picked up a second hand guitar for a friend. It is meant for her to learn to play. It was an excellent deal. The action was brutal though, and when I got it home I adjusted the action. I have done this many times before, but this time I realized I could not get it as low as I would have liked. The guitar needs a neck reset. I paid 200 for it and I am not willing to part with the money to get a neck reset done. I am thinking of shaving about an 1/8 of an inch off the bridge. Do any of you have experience with this proceedure. I figure it is better than the alternative, which is basically junking it.

Advice anyone?

Cheers,

Max

(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

It's usually bad practice to shave down the bridge when the guitar really needs a neck reset, but if you don't care about that...

You can sand down the bridge with some sandpaper. Just make sure that it stays as flat and square as possible. Check your progress regularly with a good straight edge/square. Get a piece of wood that will sit square to a very flat surface that you set the sandpaper on and keep the saddle pressed up against the wood like a jig while you sand. If you shave off too much of the saddle you can always shim it back up with thin pieces of hardwood veneer.

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@maxrumble)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks, I was thinking similarly, but the bridge is ebony and I figured I would be there for a couple of hours.

I took it to the shop today and they are going to lower the bridge. I would get the neck reset, but the cost of the job is about as much the replacement value of the guitar.

Cheers,

Max

ReplyQuote