Clear all

Shielding

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

I've just started to shield the guitar that i'm building. Its an Warmoth SG style guitar and it has a control cavity in the back and then two humbucker cavities in the front.

My question is: Should I shield both the control cavity in the back and the pickup cavities in the front??? I was just going to do the back but then I wanted to make sure about the front before I continued.

And is there a special way to lay down the shielding tape? My plan was to shield the inside of the control cavity and then shield the top of the cover.

Hopefully all of this makes sense, if it doesn't i'll try to explain better.
Thanks for reading

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

If the 'buckers have metal covers, it's probably not that critical to shield the pup cavities. However, if they do not, or you think you might change to coverless in the future, shield the pup cavities.

As for layout with shield tape: Just make sure you have a nice overlap ( at least 1/4 inch, 6 mm) on the taping strips. The control cavity shielding will usually be connected to pot bodies, as it's hard to avoid contact at the shaft holes. This means the control cavity shield is "automatically" connected to ground, as one of the pot bodies is usually utilized as the single point ground. To connect the control cover shield to the control cavity shield, I usually extend the control cavity shielding right up out of the cavity and onto the ledge the cover lies upon -- especially around the screw holes, where there will be a good pressure point contact between the cover and body. A pup's cavity shielding can be connected to ground either by a single point connection to the pup shield (braid) or by running a wire from the pup shield back to the single point ground pot body. I usually solder wires directly to the shield tape as required.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote