Clear all

Shortening footswitch cable

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I got a new pedalboard for my birrthday YAY...it's got a power supply any everything...but onyward to my question....

I have an Ibanez 25r toneblaste.r..with footswitch. I wanna attach the footswitch to the board, but it's got a cable that's 20 feet long. Can I shorrten this cable to, say, 6 inches? If so, how?

PS sorry bout the Rs...keyboard's wonky

http://www.brianbetteridge.com

(@davec)
Trusted Member

You should just be able to cut the cable and resolder it. Assuming you have a soldering iron and solder?

"And pray that there's intelligent life somewhere up in space,
'Cause there's bugger all down here on earth." - Eric Idle, The Galaxy Song.

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Or you can buy a special cable for effects - about 6" long with 2 right angle jacks.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Cant' buy a new cable, cos the cable is built into the footswitch. I don't have a soldering iron, solder, or the know-how to do so. But I know people who do. Where can I get plugs like that?

Or do I cut the cable and resolder the plug i cut off?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I would bundle it up and tie it off with cable ties so that most of it's inside the cab: You new know when you might be on a bigger stage and need the extra length.

ReplyQuote
 sirN
(@sirn)
Reputable Member

I'd imagine that you could use the same plug and just re-solder it back onto a shorter length.

Or, do what Demo suggested and just tie it off.

check out my website for good recording/playing info

ReplyQuote
(@u2bono269)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Well my board has 2 loops, so I wanted to run the footswitch into the second loop. Bundling up 20 feet of cable to go 6 inches is unsightly and it'll get in the way considering my current configuration on the board. So that way, I can have the footswitch on the board, and I can run an additional cable out of the board and into the footswitch jack. I just feel like I'll have more flexibility that way.

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Well in that case, yes go ahead and cut it. You might put a jack on the board-side of it and then have a plug on the long end - so you'd wind up with the 20ft piece having two plugs; one to plug into the amp, the other into the jack you just made to the switch.

You might still have to solder though, a good thing to get into either way.

ReplyQuote