Notifications
Clear all

silvertone 1457 bridge replacement

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@michaelt)
Topic starter  

i recently found myself, after about two years of on and off searching, a silvertone 1457, in very good condition...

i found that it went out of tune extremely easily and replaced the rickety old skate-key tuners with spurzel locking tuners and increased the playability of the guitar massively.

since i have already turned this "collector's item" (it did have all original parts until i got to it) in to a guitar worthy of the stage (just played my first gig with it this past saturday) i have been putting some thought into replacing the bridge as well.
however, i can't really find any info on any guitars that anyone has already done this too.

and the only bridge i can find that looks as though there would be barely any real work other than a little screwing and unscrewing are on this site here: http://www.danguitars.com/Parts.html
i am considering the adjustable/intonating chrome bridge, which from what i can tell is what danelectro put on the reissues.

any suggestions would be greatly appreciated, and keep in mind, i know i ruined the guitar as a collector's item, what i am looking for is stage worthy playability.

thanks

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hi Michael. I'm really delighted that you've found such a nice Silvertone. I've owned a couple and then my family & I went in for Danelectro's; my kids and I sold a few and still have a trio of them. My Internet/inventing buddy Vinnie Bell had a lot to do with the company as a designer and prolific artist - also a family man: there's a picture of his son Eddie at the age of 8 here pulling a prank with a guitar, sort of similar to yours, except for the exact body contours and headstock/tuner placement. You got the "Ho Dad" horns or contours with yours I believe, and Vinnie's boy has the '59 DC (Double Cutaway) body.

http://www.danguitars.com/VincentBell.html

However yours is covered here, I'd love to share more links but they would inundate this place. Mick Jagger is playing one like yours. There are fantastic closeups of the bridge, and YES, the bridge you have chosen is identical in fit and size, it's the Pro model, and intonable as you are aware. Screw holes are the same.

http://www.danguitars.com/Silvertone.html

Here's a link to my daughters' '59 DC and the one bass that we have left, shared by both my youngest girl and my son, which is funny 'cuz it's got the girly colors. :lol: But my son was ripped when I traded away our black, or Jimmy Page-colored bass, due to the fact that he didn't play it and had always dissed Danelectro till it was gone. Well they're fine guitars and lots of fun! Again, I'm glad that you found your dreamy Silvertone and are actually using it, which is what they were meant for. Both models, including the Longhorn bass with closeup have your-style bridge. Parts were amazingly interchangeable and simple to save money. And they work & sound great!

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@michaelt)
Topic starter  

hey, thanks jay! yeah, i guess i'm gonna go with the danelectro intonatable bridge, it seems like the smartest and easiest thing to do. thanks again for all the info and pic, i really like the the beige guitar... and mine obviously! if i ever find another i will probably buy it without a second thought, it just sounds so great. thanks again!

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Cool Michael. Thanks! That bridge will do 'ya good.

I like your enthusiasm for these guitars, pretty nifty. :D

Yeah, enjoy the one you have, hope you find more - go for it!

My son still wants an old "Jimmy Page" in black with the white "Seal" guard. It's a challenge to find one now, in gloss, and good condition, not the new distressed road worn version/re-incarnation.

I never get to talk Danelectro or Silvertone here, so you've afforded me an opportunity. Mine is the ubiquitous, workhorse '56 U2 in Malt Shop Creme, and I've always wanted to play it at a Coffee House.

I have an assortment of their cute little plastic effects pedals, the tweed case, and this is our amp, which is a mini-blast.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote