Clear all

SILVERTONE Guitar

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

got this silvertone a few months ago, my son picked it up somewhere. Anyway... at the time I started to look into it on the net to see what I could find out about it. I dident really find much , and havent looked since. So the other day I thought, "hey, why don't I post a couple of pix on guitarnoise and see what happens." So there ya go, any one wanna comment or have any knowledge of this model or anything just chime in.

<LINK_TEXT text="">

"You can drive a song or you can make it sit still."

(@midway-man)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

<LINK_TEXT text="">

ReplyQuote
(@twistedlefty)
Famed Member

My very first guitar was an almost identical 12 string model.

#4491....

ReplyQuote
(@97reb)
Noble Member

Don't know anything about it, but it looks like it could be cool. How does it play and sound? Is it a floating bridge(which can be a pain at string changing time if you don't know what you are doing). Is that a crack in the top that runs basically parallel with the sixth string? It also looks like the fret-wire/frets on the high registers needs cleaning. Otherwise, sweet looking, hope it was a sweet deal for you/your son.

It is a small world for metal fanatics. I welcome you fellow musicians, especially the metalheads!

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

nice old axe. I believe they were made by one company that made guitars for different stores. Silvertone is typically associated with Sears. Regal made many guitars under different names. Harmony comes to mind too. Oahu is another. often they just put their names on a guitar that was manufactured in Chicago. now they are made mostly in Asia.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@elecktrablue)
Famed Member

Well, this will either make it easier to figure out the manufacture date or it will make it much harder! (Sorry!) But, according to the Blue Book of Acoustic Guitars ...

"Silvertone
Instruments previously produced in the US from circa 1940s to 1970s. See chapter on House Brands. Instruments currently produced in Asia and distributed by Samick.

The trademark has been identified as a House Brand owned and used by Sears and Roebuck between 1941 and 1970. There was no company or factory, Sears owned the name and applied it to various products from such manufacturers as Harmony, Valco, Danelectro and Kay. Sears and Roebuck acquired Harmony in 1916 to control its respectable Ukelele production. Harmony generally sold around forty percent of its guitar production to Sears. The following is a word of caution: Just because it says Silvertone, do not automatically assume it is Danelectro! In fact, study the guitar to determine possible origin (Harmony, Valco and Kay were originally built in Illinois, Danelectro in New Jersey, so all were US. However, mid-1960s models were also built in Japan by Teisco, as well!) Best of all, play it! If it looks good, and sounds okay - it was meant to be played. As most instruments were sold through a catalog or in a store, they will generally be entry level instruments."

There's more, but it pertains only to electric Silvertones (mostly Danelectro models).

So, I guess the first thing you need to do is figure out who manufactured your guitar (I'm pretty sure it's not Danelectro since they produced mostly electrics), then search their serial numbers/model numbers to figure out how old yours is. One site suggested that you may be able to determine the manufacturer by the tuning pegs (or rather, by the plate of the pegs, not the pegs themselves).

Wish I could help more! Good luck! :D

..· ´¨¨)) -:¦:-
¸.·´ .·´¨¨))
((¸¸.·´ .·´
-:¦:- ((¸¸.·´ -:¦:- Elecktrablue -:¦:-

"Don't wanna ride no shootin' star. Just wanna play on the rhythm guitar." Emmylou Harris, "Rhythm Guitar" from "The Ballad of Sally Rose"

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

Suspiciously looks like a Harmony, also looks like a Sears and Roebuck model number. The headstock shape and inlays look like some of Harmonys better work. What is the finish? Nitro or plastic? Still looks pretty cool though!

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@midway-man)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I want to thank you all for taking the time to respond to this post. You've all been helpful. I have yet been able to put a year on this guitar. I've always been aware that silvertone was a sears roebuck product. There are a few people that are heavily into the cheep collectibles...silvertone, dan electro and the like. I suppose I was hoping to find someone here at guitarnoise that would be able to take one look and say...."thats a such n such year, blah blah. It is and interesting looking guitar and a lot of fun to play, certainly worth the 5.00 he payed for it. Thank you all once again.

ReplyQuote