Clear all

Skunk stripe came loose

14 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@pompom)
Topic starter  

Hi ,

I have just bought a 2006 Mexican Standard Telecaster on eBay and when I first played it I realised that the skunk stripe is loose at the last 3-4 inches towards the head for some reason . It sure is pritty disturbing when im playing.
Im wondering why it could have happened,is it a common issue, is it worth to fix it,can I fix it myself, does it suggest any more serious problems that the neck might have? The truss rod seems to be working fine though. I didnt go to extremes with it but guessing probably thats what caused the problem at the first place.By the way the truss rod was totaly lose when the guitar arrived.

Please see my photos here:
http://vega.soi.city.ac.uk/~abdd863/myTele/

Thanks for any response

Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Get photos up- some of the guys here seem to know a lot.

Sounds to me pretty hard to fix, though if it's bad bad, replacement necks for a tele aren't too steep...

Best,
Justin

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

First thing to do is contact the seller and tell him, especially if the auction did not make you aware of any shortcomings in the guitar.

There is hope if you paid by PayPal, they offer insurance and a resolution procedure.

The totally loose truss rod seems very dodgy to me, he can't have played it like that, because it rattles and vibrates, if you do.

Now that I've had a look at the photos, it looks quite minor. You could try just pushing it back in.

I'd still be talking to the seller.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@pompom)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the advise ,
Still thinking but I will definitly contact the seller. Its a shame though because the guitar otherwise plays fine and sounds nice. Well,it needs some adjustment which im not gonna do now.

ReplyQuote
(@pompom)
Topic starter  

Pushing back the stripe sounds good to me, but still it is not in level with the neck when I do so. So even if I glue it its gonna stick out which is quite annoying for my thumb when im playing. Beside sometimes it resonates too.Thats why i was thinking about taking it out and see how to put it back in level. Im not sure if thats doable DIY though.
thanks again

ReplyQuote
(@dogbite)
Illustrious Member

looks like the neck dried out a bit and shrunk. the glue on the skunk stripe probably got vey desicate (dried out) and lost the ability to hold the skunk in place. you need to get the dried glue removed and fresh glue in.
perhaps the whole skunk can come out. probably not.
if you have a syringe thin some white glue and needle it in as many places as yopu can, clamp, let dry. that shoul;d do it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/pagemusic.cfm?bandID=644552
http://www.soundclick.com/couleerockinvaders

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

it should be reglued. but first: the loose truss rod is probably a clue about how it happened. if you strike the end of a loose truss rod -- maybe trying to loosen the nut, or maybe smack the front of the headstock, it could cause the truss rod to push against the skunk stripe and pop it out. OTOH, smacking the back of the neck anywhere from the end of the stripe to the end of the headstock could conceivably stretch the truss rod a bit or partially stripping its end nut, either of which would loosen the truss rod. severely flexing the neck forward in that manner could also pop out the end of the skunk stripe.

since this could be due to trauma, carefully check the neck for other damage that may have occurred. then reglue it with some thinned white glue as dogbite suggests.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

those pictures in no way resemble the skunk stripe on the am std strat I in no way happen to possess... :shock: :oops:

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

those pictures in no way resemble the skunk stripe on the am std strat I in no way happen to possess... :shock: :oops:

so, Sara, have you stopped beating your guitar yet?

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

so, Sara, have you stopped beating your guitar yet?

yup, and I'm even thinking of taking you up on your offer to fix my baby for me.... :P

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@pompom)
Topic starter  

Thanks for all the response so far,

It doesnt look like it has been hit ,at least I cant see any marks on the neck what so ever. What im trying to do now is to observe weather the truss rod really works properly or not. Is it pushing the skunk stripe in certain positions or it was just a one time accident? Beside Im trying to set the neck properly but Im not experieced enough iwith that stuff. So far it looks like I cant really do a low action coz it does the fret buzz. Although it has got better since 2 days ago when I straightened the neck a little. I guess it is adjusting by time, maybe the previous owner left it on full releif all the time and the neck got used to it ?
Also whats strange is that on the high E string i have to push the bridge saddle to extreme to get the intonation right.

ReplyQuote
(@pompom)
Topic starter  

Are you guys still talking about guitars by the way? :)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Are you guys still talking about guitars by the way? :) 8) :lol: :lol:

Greg is right, it is a multi-faceted issue, and it often happens with trauma, the truss rod is indeed a clue.

I have seen a truss rod snap, and either whack the stripe out a bit, or knock up a fret. :shock:

You said it works, but FWIW I looked here anyway, including glues and rods and tools.

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tools/Special_tools_for:_Truss_rods.html

Your stripe/neck would be very uncomfortable. You might need a new neck.

That's the weirdest post I ever made about body parts.

I didn't mean to, please excuse me. :?:

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Are you guys still talking about guitars by the way? :)

Pompom, did you get everything straightened out okay. What's the result? :?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote