Clear all

Slight fret buzz on older guitar

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@redrainripper)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I have a 1983 Les Paul Studio that I was amazed with when i first got it. The action was so low but still there was no fret buzz, this was a major selling point for me.

Anyway, I've had it for a few months and a persisting problem is a very "slight" fret buzz when the strings are hit with a good amount of force. I dunno if the guitar did this to begin with because the atmosphere in the store is undoubtedly louder than using a practice amp in my bed room. I've messed with the truss rod and bridge to no avail. Even if I raise the bridge ridiculously high, this only worsens the problem, turning the the slight fret buzz into a very loud rattle.

So I guess my question is, is this slight fret buzz just something that I might see amongst guitars over 25 years old? I want to stress again that it is a very faint buzz, not a stand out rattle...

I don't believe that it comes through while playing although it is difficult to focus on anything but that since I'm somewhat of a perfectionist and I only use a 10W amp to practice on.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

- Mike

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

The usual suspects: Frets level? Truss rod properly adjusted? Strings too low?

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@margaret)
Noble Member

Did you change to a different type of strings? That brought about some fret buzz on my Strat, though it's only a couple years old.

Had a conversation with the guitar technician about the set-up, and he claimed that sometimes even $3000 guitars have some buzz, even when everything is set-up correctly, and that if it's only an acoustic buzz and not coming through the amp, you just have to live with it as a fact of life. He also said some brands of strings do it worse than others.

Not much help, I know. But I'm planning to go back to the strings I had previously when it's time to change.

Margaret

When my mind is free, you know a melody can move me
And when I'm feelin' blue, the guitar's comin' through to soothe me ~

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I dunno, I'm not sure if there is a guitar that has no fret buzz. At least I've never played one. I wonder; maybe it's one of those urban legends? ;)

If played hard enough I think a person can get fret buzz on just about any guitar (or bass). If it's not coming through the amp then you should be good to go, 'perfection' aside :)

ReplyQuote
(@racetruck1)
Honorable Member

If its not coming through the amp, there's probably nothing wrong, all my electrics have some "rattle" when played unplugged. I suspect that acoustics have the same "problem" but you can't hear it because of the design.

If it's really pronounced, check that your stopbar tailpiece is tight against the body, if it's not, then you are not getting enough downward pressure on the bridge and the strings will move. The two screws holding the tailpiece look like they are adjustable (up and down) but they are not. I've noticed that the tone also benefits when they are tight against the body.

Also, check that the bridge parts are not rattling, there should also be a spring-like clip that holds the saddle screws from rattling, string pressure will hold the saddles in place and the adjustment screws (horizontal,pointing toward the neck, six of them) will loosen and rattle. I've seen people take apart the bridge to clean it and lose or forget to put this spring back and wonder why their guitar won't tune right or make noises.

Last, check that the slots in the bridge and nut aren't too wide.

When I die, I want to go peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming......
like the passengers in his car.

ReplyQuote
(@jim182)
Eminent Member

i agree with most people here. from my experience, low action == fret buzz, its just how much you want to put up with. I have a fairly low action strat that gets a little fret buzz.. it just encourages me to play lightly. I wouldn't worry too much about it. Do your standard neck relief check (tonnes of articles here), did you change strings? etc.. Also, on which frets/strings are the buzzing worse? This could help people decide the causing of the buzz.

Jim

ReplyQuote