Notifications
Clear all

solid pickup covers

6 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@zepeda91)
Topic starter  

i need to know if theres a difference in installing a solid humbucker cover as there is one with the holes for the poles.. i cant find anything that says theres a specific way. im going the cheap electrical tape way to cut out microphonic feedback but i dont know if it'll work the same with a solid pickup cover. can anyone point me in the right direction?? thanks

X.C.Z

(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Yes there is a different way. 6 screws must go through the top of covers with holes, which was omitted or stated incorrectly in someone's otherwise good instructions, credited to them. 2 things - I would'nt remove much side tape, if any - it is usually recessed and not in the way.

And as I said in the other post, the screw poles can't rest or fit under holes in pickup covers. The solid covers that you mention might work if you screw the poles down flat, and it is okay for their threads to protrude at the bottom, right through the base plate. They really should be waxed, and tacked with solder at 2 spots on the bottom.

"Here's how to install them:

1. Remove the outer wrap of black tape from the pickup. Failure to do so will cause the sides of the cover to bulge, which in turn will cause other problems.

2. Methods

A. Paraffin Method: Melt a small amount of paraffin wax (available in the canning section of your grocery store) in a double boiler. Carefully pour about ½ - 1 tsp into the cover, making certain to drizzle it evenly, then insert the pickup into the cover. Make certain that the adjustable polepiece screws are sticking out of the cover holes properly, that the pickup is fully inserted, and that the cover has no bulges. You will probably need to clean some paraffin off of the polepieces and cover. Use caution when handling the cover, as the melted wax will cause the metal to become hot.

B. Electrical Tape Method: This is the easiest and fastest method; although not as traditional as the paraffin method, it is also quite effective. In this method, the inside of the pickup cover actually rests against the electrical tape, which keeps the cover from vibrating against the pickup.

Carefully place a strip of common, black, electrical tape across the pickup, from bass end to treble end, in-between the 2 rows of polepieces. Trim the tape neatly at the edges, and make certain there are no wrinkles, bubbles or folds. This is not a situation where "if one is good, two must be better". Use one strip of tape only. Insert the pickup into the cover. Make certain that the adjustable polepiece screws are sticking out of the cover holes properly, that the pickup is fully inserted, and that the cover has no bulges.

3. It is recommended to use a soldering pencil of approximately 35 - 50 watts for soldering the cover to the pickup base. A small solder connection must be made on each side of the pickup (the adjustable polepiece side, and the opposite side -- see photo). With a small flat-blade screwdriver, or a small wire brush, gently scratch the pickup base, and the inside of the cover, in the spots where the solder connections will be made. This exposes clean, un-oxidized metal for the solder to adhere to.

4. Apply small amounts of paste flux to the spots to be soldered. Make certain your soldering iron is fully warmed up and that the tip is properly tinned. Apply some solder to the iron's tip, and then apply the tip to the prepped areas of the pickup base and the cover at the same time. Apply some more solder to the junction. Repeat these steps on the other side of the pickup.

5. When cool, you may wish to carefully clean any flux residue with an acid brush or a cotton swab, and alcohol.

6. Re-install your pickups and play your heart out! Installation procedures taken from http://www.specialtyguitars.com "

So this is my pic, note screw poles sticking well out of bottom. There's no cover but you would solder where the dots are.
It is an open pickup like your's but has paraffin and beeswax, is overwound and taped tightly on the sides - impermeable.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@zepeda91)
Topic starter  

hey thanks alot man thats alotta great information! im definitly gonna screw down the pole screws cuz those covers cost like forty bucks.. but if i have oo ill get some new ones.. once again thanks alot man

X.C.Z

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

You're welcome. Have a good experience. :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'm not sure these points are clear in the above:

covers without holes are for humbuckers designed WITHOUT adjustable polepieces (meaning none look like screws with either flat blade or allen-heads). if your humbucker has adjustable pole pieces, it is best to use covers with holes, as there may well be a need to use the adjustments to balance the string loudnesses with that particular 'bucker design. secondly, covering adjustable polepieces may cause or exacerbate microphonic issues if those polepieces are not locked in place and can wiggle slightly, as you will not be able to easily secure them, and they may even rattle against the cover. if you absolutely must cover those adjustable polepieces, be sure to fix them in place with fingernail lacquer or locktite, and make sure they do not touch the inside of the cover. and be prepared to accept some string loudness imbalance. do this before potting with wax, as the wax will interfere with the lacquer or locktite.

probably should have written this first: pup covers do not stop or fix microphonics -- as mentioned abouve, they actually can make the problem worse. covers are shields for preventing electric field interference. it is the wax potting that inhibits microphonics. good wax potting locks the coil wires and other parts in place relative to each other so they cannot act like a microphone (coil moving relative to magnetic field = mic) and respond to sounds transmitted to the pickup through the guitar body or even straight to the pickup through the air. wax potting can be done with or without covers.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@zepeda91)
Topic starter  

i know they can cause microphonic feed back if connecting with the cover. thanks for the advice, i definitly ain't someone experienced enough to play with wax potting on this guitar im gonna go with the electrical tape method cuz thats free and im broke. i'll just have to deal with the imbalance if it comes up thanks alot for the information gnease.

X.C.Z

ReplyQuote