Notifications
Clear all

Speaker Mode wiring

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@paulwa)
Topic starter  

Its Paul from washington state. I just bought a 2x12 combo amp. Class A. Four preamp tubes, two power tubes. Two channel. Effects loop. I found out it is wried in series. The amp has switch to change from 8ohms to 16 ohms. Does that mean I can go ahead and wire it in parallel wiring instead. Isnt it better. Less resistance. I want thebest sound. I dont mind changing tubes and speaker once in a while. I read about how to wire it that way. It doesnt have any switch that says it will go from series to parallel or both running together. So I probably cant wire it series and parallel right. It my impediance switch say 8 ohms and 16ohms and switches. Can I wire it parallel wiring myself. Thanks. Paul.

(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

You can rewire the speakers from series to parallel or vice versa, but I doubt you'll notice much difference if they're properly matched to the output impedance of the amp. If they're in series, you should feed them from the 16 ohm output, and if you put them in parallel you need a 4 ohm output for proper matching. The 8 ohm output is for the common 8 ohm cabs with a single 8 ohm speaker, 2 4 ohms in series, 2 16 ohms in parallel, or with 4 8 ohm speakers having two parallel strings of two speakers each in series. Don't worry about "resistance."

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote