Skip to content
squier, solder from...

Notifications
Clear all

squier, solder from new pickup or old....

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@mr-nobody)
Topic starter  

Replacement bridge pickup came with wire. Old bridge pickup attatched like normal. The "easiest" way to me seems to be solder original wire to new pickup. But would it be more thurough or whatever to solder the newer pickup's wire to the switch and the volume knob etc instead? i don't know if i could do that as well.....any tips...and i'm a crappy solderer too....

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

What is "normal?" Nearly all pups are built and sold with soldered-on wiring (a.k.a. "pigtails"). Some exceptions are certain EMGs with connectors. In any case, I stongly recommend keeping the wire with the pup and soldering at the other end -- that is by switch and pots, as these are less fragile and less likely to be damaged by heat and mechanical stress than a pup -- especially if you are a crappy solderer. ... and do youself a favor: Either practice soldering or get someone else to do it.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@trguitar)
Famed Member

Ditto! Solder the wire end of the new pickup to the switch where the old one connects. That wire came on that pickup for a reason, use it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@mr-nobody)
Topic starter  

ah i see... the tricky part looks like this gray wire thats supposed to go to the volume knob. Like there's a bigger black part of the insulation plastic whatever coming off the pickup, and the gray comes out of between that and the white wire... the gray on the new pickup is hardly there too... this should be fun! :shock: Thanks for the input folks :) (excessive smilie use is due to sheer lameness on my behalf.. :roll: )

ReplyQuote
(@mr-nobody)
Topic starter  

Wow, i actually pulled it off...yay me!!! took forever to get that darn gray wire close enough to solder to the volume knob part...yikes. thanks again for them suggestion

ReplyQuote