Clear all

Starting a Project - Tools

6 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@bdp612)
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I'm looking to start an upgrade project for my old Squire Strat. I'm hoping to get a better idea of the tools I will need in order to accomplish all of my goals. I'll list my goals here:

Paint the body Cadillac Green (reranch.com)
Relic the neck to feel like the Fender Road Worn series
Install new pickups (fender noiseless)
Install tinfoil shielding under the pick guard
Install all new metal pieces (bridge, tuners, whatever else)

What kind of tools will I need / what cost am I looking at for the project?

Also, what do you think of the project? Anything else I could do while I'm at it to improve the sound?

Thanks!

(@s1120)
Prominent Member

A good set of screwdrivers that fit the screws well. Cost... not that pricy.

A soldering gun/iron. Also pretty cheap, but spend some time practicing if you have never soldered before.

A nice long straight edge to measure the neck.

A good set of wirecutters.

Now paint....Are you going to paint it yourself, or have it painted?? if your doing it yourself that opens a HUGE can of worms!!! For a one off, it would be cheaper to have a body guy do it.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@bdp612)
Topic starter  

Thanks for the reply!

I was thinking of doing it myself, simply because it's a skill that I want to acquire. Would I need to purchase some sort of aerosol spray machine? I have been afraid of that cost, but the rest really doesn't sound too bad.

I don't need anything special for the tuner installation? All of these options were intimidating:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tuner_installation_tools.html

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Thanks for the reply!

I was thinking of doing it myself, simply because it's a skill that I want to acquire. Would I need to purchase some sort of aerosol spray machine? I have been afraid of that cost, but the rest really doesn't sound too bad.

I don't need anything special for the tuner installation? All of these options were intimidating:

http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Tuners/Tuner_installation_tools.html

Paint spraying is a art form in its own right. Some have done well with aerosol cans, but Ive never been able to get a good finish with them. The best is a spray gun of some sort, and your talking the gun, compresser, hoses, filters, personal safty devices [most paints are real nasty stuff that you don't want in you!] . This is not to say you cant, or shouldn't do it. Just be aware that its a whole new skill set you would want to look into. Ive never sprayed a guitar, but have done some cars, and tractors. As for the tools.... Ya, Ive been overwhelmed looking through the Stewmac catalogs also!! Just remember... most of the tools they sell are not really needed... They just make the jobs less difficult or faster. Installing new tuners is not that hard, nor does it require special tools. Just carful workman ship with basic tools will get the job done.

Paul B

ReplyQuote
(@bdp612)
Topic starter  

Yeah, well that's sounding like a good place to temper myself. How much could I expect a professional paint job to set me back?

So then, I'm thinking all of these goals need an intelligent order of operations. Tell me if this makes sense:

Have the body painted, instruct the painter to return it disassembled
Install new pickups and tinfoil shielding simultaneously
Relic the neck
Install new metal pieces

The hardest part for me will be the electronics, which involves a new skill set for me. Anyway, with all of the info you've given me, this seems like a much more manageable project.

Also, we happen to live in the same area. Do you have a recommendation for a painter?

Thanks!

ReplyQuote
(@s1120)
Prominent Member

Personally I would have all your new parts fitted to the body before you repaint it. Its not out of the norm to have to re drill a hole, or file a cavity a little to make a part fit. Do all your fitting before the new paint, that way you don't risk hurting the new paint. That way you know when you get the body back, you know the neck, pickups, pickguard etc, all fit nice and proper. As far as a painter... If I had decided not to do it myself, I would start checking out some of the small local body shops. the big places are not going to do it, but you might find some small mom and pop body shop that will take the job. Summer time is the slow time for them, so you might get a pro painter that's looking to full a few man hours. But if your into it research it. Look for the paint you want to use, and check out what is needed for prep and paint. All paint companys will have a tech sheet that tells how to mix, and apply the paint they make. if it looks like something you want to try, check out Harbor Freight for the tools. The spray guns they sell, wile nowere near pro quality, are very affordable and do turn out some nice paint jobs. Compressors can be rented if you don't want to buy, and the same harbor freight sells all the filters, and regulators you would need. But check out the paint you want first. Some of this stuff is bad, nasty stuff to get on, and around your body. Some is not that bad, and a simple face mask, and full sleeves will do the trick for safety. Again all the paint companys will have info available, on use of the product.

Paul B

ReplyQuote