Skip to content
Static on Acoustic ...

Notifications
Clear all

Static on Acoustic Electric...Please Help? :)

15 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi Folks, my new jewel has a slight problem. I'd rather not return it, but i have dontacted Fishman and await their response. The problem is with static and losing signal.

To back us a bit, I've got a Parkwood Guitar with a Fishman Premium S.O.B. on it. The electrics seem to be quite the do-all. Thaye themselves sell for $400. Here's a picture of the one on my guitar. http://www.parkwoodguitars.com/guitar_pw360m.htm Just scroll all the way down.

Now, this has two ways of communicating signal back to an external listening device through it's own internal pre-amp. There is a mic afixed to the pre-amp itself and an under saddle pickup. A blender directs traffic.

Now the problem. I can play some simple stummy songs and do an open G or an E chord a bunch of times in a roll. there is some small static. During these static noises are some much less obvious to determine due to the static loss of signal. A couple gentil, but firm taps to body or tap seem to do the trick.

Things I've tried:
Reading the manual X3
emailing Fishman and am waiting resonse
several variations of slider settings
New Strings
All Mic and all pickup.

The guitar sounds like heaven and I got it for a steal. I would rather not have to wait for long distance service, but it is under warrenty. Has anyone got ani Ideas?

Oh, and this being able to combine a mic and a pcikup together sounds pretty good when I don't get static.

Thanks in advance!
Roy

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I had that problem with my old Ibanez electrostick. There is hundreds of reasons it could be happening. Most common i've found are problems with the input jack, or problems with the wiring.

If your confident to check yourself then go for it, but if not, take it to the shop and ask them. I'd advise changing the jack because that pretty much solved it for me. But like i said, there is a ton of reasons it could be happening.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Most common i've found are problems with the input jack, or problems with the wiring.

+1; the jack is the first thing that came to mind.

I posted a while ago about a Taylor guitar that zapped one of my guitarists. The problems with that guitar (which has the Taylor "Expression" system - piezo and mic, like yours) started with static noises that I believe came from the jack, then he'd lose the connection and get loud pops while playing ... and then finally the preamp went nuclear.
http://forums.guitarnoise.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=47299

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Thanks guys. It does seem like a logical place to start. So......

I did have to replace one on my ESP LTD once. I had also purchased a switch, but installed the input jack first and it fixed the static/cut-out problem. Not sure why I forgot about that. Duh!

OK, so I removed it and had a look. Everything appears intact. All the wiring looks good, the soldering clean, etc, etc. One thing I don't like is how close all this exposed wiring and soldering points are to each-other. Maybe that's just a concern for higher voltage electrical things? One of these prong pairs are 3/32nds apart from each other.

So with no visible damage or defect, is there any real way to test this theory out other than the 'ol replace and hope it works method? Not opposed to doing this, but if there's a way it can be done with reasonable effort, I'd like to try.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
(@wattsiepoops)
Reputable Member

I think as long as the soldering points inside the guitar aren't touching then you are fine. It shouldn't have any effect on the tone of the guitar, or any bad additions of sound. All the wiring and soldering points on the old ibanez were really close together and that played a dream once the jack had been replaced.

David Watts
Takamine G-Series - £229
Fender STD American Telecaster (Cola Red) - £849
Vox 15watt AMP (Valve pre amp) - £129
Acoustic/Electric Rhythm and Lead (Occasionally) Southport Elim Youth Band
Former Aftershock 24/7 Rhythm Guitarist (Band split)

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

I agree, so +2 or 3 for the jack, but I wondered if you added a new battery?

Oh, and your cord is now at a different angle than it has been on your electrics.

That happens to me, a good cord is suddenly stressed on an Acoustic/electric guitar.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

+1 on check the battery first. and particularly if it's a 9 volter, make sure the contacts are clean and actually making good contact -- lots of 9V battery clips/contacts are marginal.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

The problems with that guitar (which has the Taylor "Expression" system - piezo and mic, like yours)

a Expression system is supposed to use 3 magnetic surface transducers (contact mics) -- no piezos. that's one of the joys of that system, the no piezo part, that is.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Ah, I may have been thinking of the one he brought in as a backup ... the Expression is very different. :shock:

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi Everyone, I did the battery already. I'll try a new end pin jack first as long as that doesn't violate any kind of warrenty. I'm still waiting on word from Fishman.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Roy, just to humor me, but I mean well and for your benefit, did you try a new & sturdy cord into the endpin jack?

You've alreay done a lot of work taking things apart and finding nothing visibly or structurally wrong inside the system.

The reason I offered this as a possibility, is because cords which are otherwise functional, can bend and begin to fail in this new, stress-producing, 180 degree angle or straight-out position?

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Hi, 4 cords tried. Signal from piezo a total loss now. I took the Fishman unit out and had a look. It had been gotten into before. Big time. A wire was broke, another was frayed, the metal-ish back cover material had been misshapped and looked in rough shape. The screws to get the thing loose had even been gotten into before. The heads were a little stripped.

Early on I emailed and called both Fishman and Parkwood. Parkwood first. Parkwood was an answer machine and a little form (IIRC) online. No human yet. GC is dropping them like a hot potato. I suspect something quite fishy. The site is even hosted in Korea according to Google. Fishman resonded and said it was through the guitar manufacture that I must go. Makes sense.

I emailed the local GC manager explained to him the purchase situation, what I had, what I did, what I found, etc, and asked it he could help. He said that he would send it out for repair. That's my favorite option. So, we bring it back to the store this evening. I don't mind being without it for a while.

Roy

ReplyQuote
(@daven)
Estimable Member

That's excellent! Hopefully it will come back perfect.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Ditto. Great forensic work and discoveries. She'll come back in ship shape, and sure to shine! :wink:

Like a bird on the wire,

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Wow Roy that's great that they are going to fix this for you for free..I guess I wish you were my neighbor too. When I bought my Epi LP from GC it was marked down from around $600 to around $400 and I noticed there was an ever so slight dent in it and the pickups had some scratches on the cover but they said if I sent it back for another one I'd have to pay full price.

So is there any houses in the neighborhood for sale..maybe a few, we have a whole clan that wants to move in!

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote