Clear all

Sticky Neck - Lighter Fluid?

7 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

Is Lighter fluid still the standard for removing any dirt & grime that makes a glossy guitar neck all sticky?

I used some this morning and it did work decently. It needs another application or two. The odor is unkind to my wuss-bag senses that live on the edge of Migraine-land. Anything else that works, but doesn't have an awful odor?

On a related note, my son has a friend who plays guitar, but has the most acidic hands/fingers you'll ever see. If he plays my guitar, I have to do a thorough cleaning afterwards or kiss the strings good-bye. I told my son to make sure he tells me if he plays any of my guitars and I don't know about it so that I can rescue it afterwards. His Gibson plays horribly and strings look like they're years old. Ya hate to say anything to him 'cuz you don't want him to feel bad. Nice kid. Weird finger/hand issue.

Anyhow, ths guitar that I'm trying to get all cleaned up got played by him two months after a string change. A couple weeks after he played it, the strings were rusty all along the fret board. I could not even clean them enough to get it to stay in tune for more than a minute or two. I used the guitar cleaner stuff a couple of times, but no dice. This is what I'm trying to get off my guitar.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I suggest you also clean bridge, keys and all other hardware along with the strings after the Toxic Avenger visits. I'm working on two '60s Japanese beaters, each of which apparently lived with similar creatures. On one, the sweat (or whatever) had corroded everything right down to the pots and screws. On both, it had penetrated the finish leaving black streaks. Acetone, paint thinner, naphtha, nothing removes it from the wood except for a chisel.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

If this guy is so acidic, you are going to have to find out exactly how bad it is. Get something to test the pH level, then find an alkali that is going to neutralise his sweat.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter  

:shock:

I wasn't expecting either of those answers. Big lesson = don't delay.

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

Did some searching on the net and the consensus from guys that have the same problem was to switch to Elixer strings they said they last a couple months compared to a week or less with regular strings. One guy said his strings turn red in a day or two from the acid from his sweat and he switched to Elixer strings.

I'd just tell the dude not to play your guitars.

Another method used by several people with the problem was to use WD-40 to wipe the strings down "everytime" the guitar was used. They all said it made a big difference in string life..but be sure to only use on the strings not the fretboard or finish.

But the vast majority switched to Elixers.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

I'd just tell the dude not to play your guitars.

Yes. Give your son a cover story. "You know, Dad's getting weird in his old age. Now he's saying that his guitars are his 'personal instruments.' I can't even play them. So...."

Or just pick out a beater and make it your "guest" guitar. And maybe dip it in Rust-Oleum Epoxy Shield Garage Floor Coating a couple of times. :lol:

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@benji646)

Is Lighter fluid still the standard for removing any dirt & grime that makes a glossy guitar neck all sticky?

I used some this morning and it did work decently. It needs another application or two. The odor is unkind to my wuss-bag senses that live on the edge of Migraine-land. Anything else that works, but doesn't have an awful odor?

On a related note, my son has a friend who plays guitar, but has the most acidic hands/fingers you'll ever see. If he plays my guitar, I have to do a thorough cleaning afterwards or kiss the strings good-bye. I told my son to make sure he tells me if he plays any of my guitars and I don't know about it so that I can rescue it afterwards. His Gibson plays horribly and strings look like they're years old. Ya hate to say anything to him 'cuz you don't want him to feel bad. Nice kid. Weird finger/hand issue.

Anyhow, ths guitar that I'm trying to get all cleaned up got played by him two months after a string change. A couple weeks after he played it, the strings were rusty all along the fret board. I could not even clean them enough to get it to stay in tune for more than a minute or two. I used the guitar cleaner stuff a couple of times, but no dice. This is what I'm trying to get off my guitar.

Fast Fret is a great product that you can apply over the strings and fretboard of the guitar once you have finished playing. This maintains the string life and cleans fretboard. Also helps with string talk.

ReplyQuote