Clear all

strange lack of noise

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@eljoekickass)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

i used to have a lace sensor for my bridge pickup on my strat but i ended switching it out for a duncan ssl 1. strangely enough, whenever i switch to the fourth position where the bridge and the middle pickups are on, all the hum that single coil pickups make dissappears. literally when i switch from the 5th to the 4th position all the noise is gone. Also, the signal sounds a bit weaker, but not too much. And no, my middle pickup is not reverse wound. I know this because the highway 1 doesnt have a reverse wound pickup in the middle and also the neck and middle pickup selection is just as loud as any other pickup. All the other positions sound fine and are not weak like the 4th position. Any ideas as to why this is?

(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Is the SSL 1 a single coil? If it is, it sounds like it's out of phase with the others - swapping the wires around would sort it out if that's what the problem is. Better still, swap your volume pot for a push/pull pot of the same value and you can wire it up to turn that effect on and off at will :)

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote
(@eljoekickass)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The SSL 1 is a single coil. This problem happened before with the lace sensors also so I guess its time to rewire. By the way, what does it mean to be in phase and out of phase? I've heard it a lot but I never understood it.

ReplyQuote