Strat 5 way switch loose

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@ph0nage)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Hey all,

I've been playing my highway 1 hss strat for about 9 months now. i'm noticing that when i tap it to move it to another setting, if off overshoots it and goes to the 5th or 1st setting because there isn't enough resistance.

Do i need to be more careful or is there a way to tighten this up?

Thanks

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Compare the switch's operation to that of those on other Strats to judge the whether it's you or the switch.

If the switch is the issue, I doubt you can tighten it, as these switches are not really designed for adjustment or servicing. Nevertheless, you should check it to see if something obvious and simple-to-fix is wrong. An example: If it is an older style Strat switch, it will have a spring on one end. That spring provides the detent tension, and if it has popped off, it might be possible to reseat it.

If nothing is obviously wrong, it probably needs replacement. If so, choose a heavy duty replacement -- a few dollars extra is worth it for better lifetime, reliability and feel.

Also check on a warranty replacement. Don't know the Fender warranty on HW 1 guitars, but it's worth a look, as this switch sounds as if it may be failing prematurely at only 9 months old (was new, correct?)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote