Notifications
Clear all

Strat High E String Problems

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@yourcodenameismilo)
Topic starter  

Hi, feel a bit silly for having to ask this question but still...

I've had a 60s Strat w/ synchronized trem for about 6 months now and it's great but recently I've been having real problems with my high E string. Everytime I try and tune it right the string just breaks and I'm not sure why as I've never had this problem with another guitar.

Please help if you have any ideas as to what might be wrong.

Thanks

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

where is it breaking? at the saddle, or nut, or string tree or tuner or ??? look for a burr or damage at whichever part of the guitar is proximal to the point of snappage.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

The proximal burr or a sharp metal spot causing the break, is what does it most of the time. And you can tell where it breaks, for instance at the saddle?

However, if it is breaking at the tuner, there is a seldom-known, and usually overlooked situation on all guitars, regardless or make or model, acoustic or electric.

You can't really loosen or take the tension off a high E string, without expecting it to break fairly frequently, for instance if you over tune, then de-tune, and wiggle it around back & forth too much.

When you detune that thin little string, you compress the molecular structure, or the particles of it, and it pushes together and snaps. It snaps or pops violently, because it is still under tension. It is similar to crushing. That will often whip us in the face, or if you're lucky, right in the eye. :shock:

I have gotten huge welts across my face and over my eyes because of that crazy phenomena, and sometimes like the crack of a whip, and even a bloody needle-type poke in the hand, where the string impales me with considerable force.

To reduce tension or pitch on the first E string by much, you should pull the string up or back with one hand, like pulling a bow with arrow, giving it slight tension, so that it still stretches or holds its own and doesn't compress while turning the tuning peg to loosen it. Good luck! :D

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@scrybe)
Famed Member

The proximal burr or a sharp metal spot causing the break, is what does it most of the time. And you can tell where it breaks, for instance at the saddle?

That, or using Fender Bullets...

Ra Er Ga.

Ninjazz have SuperChops.

http://www.blipfoto.com/Scrybe

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Hey there! How's the guitar fixing coming? Everything in order? Good luck, again, and best wishes. :!: 8)

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote