Clear all

Strat string gauge change and bridge

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@guitar4k)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I picked up a Fender American Deluxe strat last year and I have putting up with the slinky 9-gauge strings they come from the factory with. My other guitars all have 10 or higher gauge. I setup all of these myself, however they all had fixed bridges so the adjustments were easy.

I assume that putting heavier strings on the strat will raise my bridge height and pull the neck a little. Aside from adjusting the saddle height and truss rod, is there anything else I should consider for the floating bridge?

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Do not immediately change either the saddle heights or the neck relief (truss rod). The first thing to do is pop off the back cover and adjust the tension on the trem springs to return the bridge back to normal position when the new strings (new gauge) are tuned up. This is an iterative process done unaided. Here's a way to make it less iterative by temporarily blocking the bridge BEFORE removing the old strings:

Tune up the old strings properly to set up the floating bridge to it's proper angle (assuming it is correct). Wedge a wood or plastic shim beneath the rear of the bridge plate to hold it in a fixed position. This shim should fit perfectly to maintain the same bridge plate angle with respect to the body. Increasing the tension on the trem springs (beneath the rear access cover) to hold the shim in place is a good idea. You will be increasing the tension of these for the higher gauge anyway -- so make sure there's even a little extra tension. Now change the strings and tune to pitch. If you added enough extra spring tension, the block will still be held in place. If not, add a little more spring tension to make sure the shim doesn't slip out as you tune up the new strings. Now set up the neck relief and intonation, and if necessary the string heights. When everything is perfect and playable to your liking, the last thing to do is gradually loosen the trem spring tension until the shim slides free from under the rear of the bridge. The strings should still be in tune, and the bridge angle same as for the original strings. You are ready to go.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

I am a Strat owner too. When I go to a heavier string guage, I usually see the brige go up. I like it down pretty low, so there are two ways I use to lower it:

1. Replace the tremolo springs with newer, heavier springs, or

2. Just add another spring. The Strat comes with three springs - I wil add a fourth.

You can buy replacement springs at most music stores for about a $1 - $1.50 each. Cheap fix.

I have also tightened the existing springs, by screwing the plate in further, but I am cautious to go too far.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

He won't have to add or replace springs going from 9's to 10's. There's enough adjustment range in the spring claw (tensioning adjustment).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@guitar4k)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok, thanks a lot. I am going to try that out right now.

ReplyQuote
(@guitar4k)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Thanks again, gnease. I followed your instructions and the tremolo adjustments went perfect. I didnt even have to adjust the bidge saddles because the intonation was still perfect. Even better than my other guitars!

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Good to hear it worked for you. It's one of those procedures that's harder to describe than actually do -- especially once the DIYer understands the logic behind the procedure.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote