Clear all

String buzz arggggg

12 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Hellow again everyone! Well I have a fret buzz problem on my Hamer Standard on the 6 string 5 string 4 string and the 3rd string.The 6 string has the most buzz and the other the others dont buzz nearly as much they all buzz at the third fret. When I bought the guitar the 6 string buzzed only slightly now 4 strings buzz what should I do?

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

it sounds like you may need to raise the action a little on the low E side (6 string). The instructions that came with the guitar should tell you how to do that. If I remember correctly the Hamer standard has the Tune-o-Matic bridge so all you need to do is turn the screw on the 6 string side of the bridge counter clockwise. I would try about a quarter or half turn and re-tune it then see what happens.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I did what you said turned in counter clockwise half a turn then tuned it and tried it after about 3 full turns of trying it there is some buzz difference but it is still there should I keep turning and re tuning?

ReplyQuote
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Since no one replied I kept turning now the buzz seems to come from the second fret :?

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Seems like a lot of turning, but either you haven't turned enough, you have a high second fret, or your neck needs a bit more relief.

ReplyQuote
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Now that the strings are exactly 15 feet off the fret board I don't think this is going to work.

ReplyQuote
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member

sounds like a bowed neck in dire need of a truss rod adjustment

ReplyQuote
(@intergalactic)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Mega argggggg how doe I fix the neck? Or should I have someone do it for me?

ReplyQuote
(@nwoodgirl)
Trusted Member

Yesterday I adjusted my truss rod for the first time. I had string buzz on E and a after a string change. There are many sites with directions on what to do. I was really nervous and ready to go to a luthier, but it actually was quite simple. I turned the rod slowly bit by bit till the buzz was gone. Greybeard's site has good info on this subject. Good luck!

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

I think it is time to go back to basics and check your adjustments before something goes wrong.

First, check the neck relief. Use a capo on the first fret and fret the strings one at a time at the 14th fret. Measure the distance between the bottom of the string and the top of the 7th fret wire. It should be between 5 and 15 thousandths. Adjust the truss rod if it is not.

Then adjust the string height (action). Without fretting anything measure the height at the 12th fret. The low E (6) should be around 5/64's and the high e (1) should be around 3/64's.

For a little more detail check "basic setup" on my pages below

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@nwoodgirl)
Trusted Member

It was Nils webpage where I got the truss rod info, not Greybeard's. Sorry Nils. :oops:

ReplyQuote
 Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

It was Nils webpage where I got the truss rod info, not Greybeard's. Sorry Nils. :oops:
Not a problem, just happy it helped you. There are a lot of other good reference sites out there also which are probably even much better than mine. One that comes to mind is http://www.frets.com

DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote