Clear all

String Change - How often?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@rcsnydley1)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

I seem to be always debating with myself over whether to change my strings or not. I play approx. 5 to 6 days a week for 2 to 4 hours per day. The difference in the sound between obviously old strings and new is amazing. However, I don't want to wait until that happens.
Since I play so often I'm afraid I don't notice the subtle deterioration of the sound quality. So, I was wondering if anyone had any "rules of thumb" or other gauges they use to determine when a new set of strings is in order.

Ric

"I've got blisters on my fingers." - Ringo Starr

(@jeffster1)
Reputable Member

This is something that there's no easy answer to. In my opinion, if you're playing that often, every 2 months or so isn't too frequent. 3 months tops.

Again this all depends on playstyle, what type of skin you have (oily or not), what type of strings, what sound you're looking for, how your guitar is stored etc etc etc. I change mine every 2-3 months on my main playing guitar.

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

I'm locking this one down. It's duplicated in Beginners Q&A and has more replies there.

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote