5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Trev
 Trev
(@trev)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Tonight was the second time my G-string snapped when I was tuning my acoustic a half step down. The first time it was a pretty new Elixir string. What is wrong? is there something wrong with my guitar? Or do I leave it in standard for too long? My Elixir string I didn't have in standard for a long time though. Any advice please.

I'd like to also add that it is the same one that the tuning key is loose on and will move and lose the screw without a string on, would this affect that?

Ricochet
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

I don't undestand why it snapped while tuning down. Tuning back up's usually when that happens. String binding in the nut slot is the biggest cause of problems when changing tunings.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
cnev
 cnev
(@cnev)
Famed Member

I agree with Ric, can't imagine how it would break tuning down. Are you sure you were turning the peg in the right direction?

Otherwise check for burrs but even that seems odd when tuning down.

"It's all about stickin it to the man!"
It's a long way to the top if you want to rock n roll!

ReplyQuote
Trev
 Trev
(@trev)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yah, I find it crazy that it's happening, and I was definately tuning down both times. Anyways, I want to fill in that hole that the screw is loose in, what should I use? I the only thing that I can think of that we have handy is wood glue. I just want to fill the hole so the screw can go in tightly, would wood glue work for that?

ReplyQuote
Ricochet
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Yeah, I've tightened up a bunch of screws by simply filling the hole with wood glue, letting it partially dry, and tightening in the screw. If you really need to fix it right, glue in a piece of wood like a toothpick and redrill the hole.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote