Clear all

strings breaking too soon?

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@vempyre)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

all of the letter-named strings here pertain to standard tuning.

i changed the strings on my electric a fortnight ago.

on thursday last week, i broke my g string. as in, the guitar variety - it snapped very close to the bottom pickup, where the string is threaded through the back. i was disappointed but didn't think too much of it, and replaced it.

it's now tuesday (though only four minutes until the day is spent..) where i live. this morning i broke my b string, which snapped in the same place.

all of this is making me wonder - have i done something wrong? i don't think that i've been playing so much more than usual. might it just be the strings?

thanks...

(@mattguitar_1567859575)
Noble Member

vempire

unlikely to be the strings. More likely you have a rough burr somewhere. Take the strings off and run your finger over the bit the strings make contact with the guitar. Is it rough? If so try rubbing it with VERY fine emery paper or applying some graphite.

Matt

ReplyQuote
(@mig12)

Did it snap while you were playing?

You might have tuned it too high, or it may not be correctly strung.

The only times my classical snapped while I was playing it was becuase those idiots at Guitar Tex didn't string it right....

AH MULES 8TH GRADE DISTRICT CHAMPS!

I (heart) my Fender.

ReplyQuote
(@vempyre)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

oh, it's an electric. my classical strings don't seem to break nearly as often.

thanks for your responses, i tried the graphite thing. now i suppose that only time will tell.. :?

ReplyQuote