Notifications
Clear all

Strings For Nevada "Les Paul"

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@russellwood265)
Topic starter  

I have a Les Paul copy made by Nevada. I'd buy a Gibson but lack of funds and the lack of ability to justice stopped me!
It has come to that time when I have to replace the strings that were on the guitar when i bought it. I never like this time, because you never know what strings were on it originally and want to still get a good sound out of it!
So what strings should I buy? I'm asking more about gauges than companies, but I'll take any advice I can get!
Thanks

(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Most guitars I have seen come from the factory with a set of light strings on it (so it feels very easy to play)
That would be a set of .09-.42
If you go with much heavier (or lighter) strings than what was on it, you may need to make some minor adjustments to the bridge/nut/trussrod. Those adjustments aren't major surgery, but it is something to keep in mind.

On my guitars, I generally avoid the high end name brand strings, and pick the second cheapest strings the store carries.
But string brand is a big time personal preference thing.
Most people try different brands for a while until they discover something they like.

Ultimately, it all comes down to personal preference.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

.09 - .42's are always a safe bet as original replacements, but I have always liked the meatier feel of .10 - .46's. Particularly if you switch back & forth between acoustic and electric - I put lights on my acoustics, but if I pick up an electric with .09's I still feel like I'm playing on thin pieces of thread? :shock: Well, there's Hybrids too, but let's not complicate issues; it's just my opinion that they give some heaviness and thump to the bottom end, while allowing flexibility and stretchy bending on the first 3 strings. I especially like the ker-chunk of .10's on the bass notes, bridge pickup, of a Tele.

One thing of note, since the Les Paul is a short scale guitar, even .10's have more bend in 'em than on a Strat, Tele etc.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@russellwood265)
Topic starter  

Thanks! I think I'll get 09-42s. It's heavy enough with the factory strings, so I think I'll stick with them

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

You're very safe with .09 to .46. I've owned, played, and seen a lot of electric guitars straight from the shop, and they all came with "9s," as we call them. (Don't ask me why, but it seems customary to refer to standard string sets with the guage of the 1st string.)

I've been experimenting for the last few years though, and there's usually a range of tolerance. If it came with 9s, nine times out of ten, it won't need any particular set up changes if you want to switch to 8s or 10s. (Unless it has a floating trem. Then you'll have to adjust spring tension.)

The kinds of adjustments you'll have to make for small changes in string thickness are easy enough to do, and often not necessary- so feel free to experiment to your heart's content.

(Or just keep the 9s- what most players use.)

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

I used 9-42 in my Les Paul but I did put 10-46 in my last restrung and I found a big difference in tone. I already used 10-46 in the Strat and 11-52 in the acoustic. I kept the 9-42 gauge in the Les Paul because it came with this guitar but I prefer how the 10-46 feels. I will put 11-52 in the next string change.

On brands. I try several brands and I repeat when I like them. For example, currently I have DR in the Strat (probably my favorite) and D'Addario in the Les Paul (I prefer other brands). I also like Ernie Ball and GHS, and that 11's set that I will try in the Les Paul is Dean Markley.

(BTW I say there is a "difference" in the sound, I don't say it sounds better. To me it does but tone is always relative.)

ReplyQuote