Notifications
Clear all

strings really high on neck

7 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@zombie1387)
Topic starter  

ok, ive had my guitar for around 8 years, and the strings have become really high, i tried a small amount of truss adjustment but as far as i could see it didint solve anything, so i was wondering if it could be the bridge, because its kinda old anyway its a standard strat, i use regular ernie ball slinkys, i was told it has something to do with the amount of springs i use in the bridge, i just use 2 springs, anyway here are a few images indicating how high up the strings are.

(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd be really interested to see a side view of the trem unit, to see the angle of the base plate.

With 9's, I'd say that you really need 3 springs, to keep the trem in tune. With 10's, I'd be considering 4 springs - not really necessary, but, if it was a choice I had to make, I'd rather under-compensate 4 springs than over-compensate 3.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@zombie1387)
Topic starter  

I'd be really interested to see a side view of the trem unit, to see the angle of the base plate.

With 9's, I'd say that you really need 3 springs, to keep the trem in tune. With 10's, I'd be considering 4 springs - not really necessary, but, if it was a choice I had to make, I'd rather under-compensate 4 springs than over-compensate 3.

ooh i just looked at a side view of my trem and its slightly elevated,ive only just noticed that, should i add more springs?

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I'd certainly have 3 springs. Spread them to the outermost holes and the centre one.

You may need to adjust the claw, so that the base-plate of the trem is parallel to the body.

Detune the strings, adjust the claw screws, re-tune and check alignment. Repeat until satisfied.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote
(@zombie1387)
Topic starter  

I'd certainly have 3 springs. Spread them to the outermost holes and the centre one.

You may need to adjust the claw, so that the base-plate of the trem is parallel to the body.

Detune the strings, adjust the claw screws, re-tune and check alignment. Repeat until satisfied.

i think i may have solved it, i noticed that the 6 screws that hold the bridge to the body were really lose, i just tightened them and tightened the screws on the claw and the strings are now at the perfect height, but the trem doesnt work so well now it really stiff i remember i loosened the screws to make the trem easier for me to use years ago, but its still usable and id rather have correct string height over an easier whammy anyday, thanks for your help

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

i noticed that the 6 screws that hold the bridge to the body were really lose,

They're supposed to be a bit loose to allow the bridge to pivot when you lean on the whammy bar.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

I agree with kent_eh - you didn't need to tighten the 6 front screws, they were doing their job.

Having tightened the claw and got the trem level, you can loosen the front screws and allow the plate more freedom to move.

Greybeard's Pages

ReplyQuote