Clear all

Supercharging an Epiphone Dot

14 Posts
11 Users
0 Likes
27.6 K Views
(@tele-screen)
Topic starter  

I have been wanting for quite a while a nice Gibson ES-335 and have recently come up with a plan.

The Gibson is a little out of my price range for the foreseeable future, but an Epiphone Dot is well within. However, I'm not really satisfied with the stock Dots I've played so I want to upgrade one a bit. I'm thinking a Bigsby, and some new pickups to begin with, along with having the neck set up by the luthier i use.

Here's where the questions begin:
I have installed my own pipckups before, but I'm wondering if installing the Bigsby is really hard. I've looked up some installation videos on youtube and it seems doable for me. Does anyone who has done this have any advice or warnings?

I would also like people's opinions on the Bigsby in general. Is the action still adjustable? Does it have a nice sound? I've played a guitar with a Bigsby and liked what it did.

Pickups! What brand and model should I get? I've never bought humbuckers before. I want a rich sound optimized for an archtop.

And finally, what about my plan in general. Will a suped-up epiphone dot be anywhere near an approximation of an ES-335? Is the Dot a decent starting point?

If anyone smarter and more experienced than me could help me out I would be much obliged.

(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

I would suggest that you add up how much this is going to cost and see what else you can get for that money. A new dot will run you about $400 and a set of good pickups (Seymour Jazz neck and something else bridge - JB? Special?) will be be ~$150. That's $550. For only a bit more you can get one of the 80's or 90's Yamaha semis - maybe ~$750 for an SA-2000. It won't have a Bigsby but it will be a far better guitar than the dot.

I recently picked up an Edwards 335 clone for about $700 and it was almost brand new (a couple of months old - I've got the import documents). It's an incredible guitar that's made by ESP - the Edwards sub-brand is for the Japanese market only. http://www.espguitars.co.jp/edwards/original/E-SA-125LTS.html Combine the lesser known name with selling it used and I pretty much stole it. If you look around you might be able to do something similar.

I guess what I'm saying is really think about putting a lot of extra cash into a budget guitar instead of buying a better quality guitar. If you really want to mod an Epi Dot then buy a used one from Craig's list. I see these go by pretty regularly - somebody moving up in quality, somebody needing cash, or somebody giving up.

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@tele-screen)
Topic starter  

Oh yeah I've done the math, and I understand that I could get a guitar that is already a bit better for the price. And in terms of the Dot, I was definitely going for a used one. In fact, all I really need is the body, neck, and basic electronics/hardware. I think that I can find deals for some of the stuff on craigslist or other sites.

To me, the fun of the project and having a personalized guitar is a big appeal. Just the last time I added new pickups was a rewarding experience. I like to build things a lot.

The key will be finding the right starting point at the right price.

Oh and I'll definitely check out that guitar you gave the link to.

ReplyQuote
(@hyperborea)
Prominent Member

To me, the fun of the project and having a personalized guitar is a big appeal. Just the last time I added new pickups was a rewarding experience. I like to build things a lot.

Hey I understand that. I also enjoy playing about and fixing / building things. Sometimes I let my guitar practice suffer a bit while I putz about with the amp or the computer recording software.

I ran across this on eBay and I thought about your posting. I'm not sure if it's what you're looking for but it definitely looks like a nice older guitar at a good price and probably a lot better than an Epi Dot. It's already got what you're looking to do though so I'm not sure that there's much of a project here.

1968 Yamaha SA-30T for $399
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=170201999227&ssPageName=STRK:MEWA:IT&ih=007

Pop music is about stealing pocket money from children. - Ian Anderson

ReplyQuote
(@tele-screen)
Topic starter  

Man, that things pretty cool. I'm going to research it a bit and keep my eye on it. Not a real Bigsby, but meh.

Thanks for the link.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

I'd also look into Ibanez Artcore semis. There are several 335-like Artcores from $300-ish to $700 or $800. All are made better than the Dot. You can easily add a Bigsby to any of these. If you are willing to go thinline hollow, there also are Artcores with Bigsby-like trems (Ibanez' very good knock-off of the Bigsby!).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@keanubear)

I bought a Epiphone Dot and changed out the pickups, the tailpiece, the bridge and had a earvana nut installed. I couldn't be happier. Sure it was putting money into a "cheap" guitar, but it sounds and plays great.

I put in Seymour Duncans, a jazz in the neck, and a pearly gates in the bridge. I may put in Gibson 57 classics in at some point...

Of course, one day I'll get a es-335... but they are expensive!

ReplyQuote
(@bluesrider99)

I know this thread is a little old now, but I followed it from a Google search for Epiphone Dot upgrades. I have an Epi Dot Deluxe I bought a few months ago. I'm mostly happy with it; it carries itself fine on gigs (I currently play in a blues-rock band) and is a nice alternative to my Fenders, especially with places with crap electric that causes my single coils to hum excessively.

I have had problems keeping the guitar in tune with the 3rd string and I'm aware that better-quality tuners would help tremendously. However, I also want to upgrade the electronics and perhaps the bridge, as the guitar does not have nearly the sustain I was hoping for. I have spent the last week or so researching parts, sources, and wiring diagrams.

Last post was that keanubear had changed out the pickups, tailpiece, bridge and nut. If you don't mind saying, what tailpiece and bridge did you have installed? And have you been happy with the pickups you selected?

Also, has anyone else done upgrades on their Epi Dot? I'd love to hear about it: what did you do, what parts did you decide on, have you been happy with the upgrade, etc. Post it up!

Rock on!

ReplyQuote
(@eadgber)
Trusted Member

I'd also look into Ibanez Artcore semis. There are several 335-like Artcores from $300-ish to $700 or $800. All are made better than the Dot. You can easily add a Bigsby to any of these. If you are willing to go thinline hollow, there also are Artcores with Bigsby-like trems (Ibanez' very good knock-off of the Bigsby!).

I have an Artcore AM73, no bigsby on this model but After Gotoh tuners, GFS PU's, Tusq nut and a little setup it's a great gtr. Set neck and built strong. Look like it cost me alot more than it did too.

ReplyQuote
(@davevita)

Dude, Check out Heritage guitars if you like old Gibsons. I won't tell their story here but it's like getting a vintage Gibson made yesterday! I Love 'em!

ReplyQuote
 7up
(@7up)

I know the Dot studio is cheap, but i really like the feel. So i put a bigsby b700 on, pulled out all the old wire, switch and pots and pick ups. larger gage wire, better switch and what not. Bare knuckle pick ups ...the vintage pick ups they make are awesome. and now i have what i was looking for, and it can not be picked up off shelf, and has amazing tone. Sure i could have picked up the Dot or even the god like gibson. But i think that building something made just the way you want it is half the fun. Your not thinking about, well if i would have done this it might sound better. Best part, only put me out $650. And i do believe the Gibson 57 pick up has been knocked down a notch by Bare knuckle brand and what they offer.

ReplyQuote
(@mattblackpaint)

Need Help!!!!!!

I have a sunburst Epi Dot that I had a Bigsby tremelo, two Gibson 57's, a bone nut and new toggle switch put on. It's my best performing guitar and a damn fine, unique guitar. Plays better than a similiar Gibson 335 that I played at Rudy's one day that cost $5000.

I had it in my soft case that has straps on the back for taking to gigs. Just tonight after coming home from a huge studio I accidentally leaned on the case and broke the headstock clean off.

I simply cannot live without this guitar. It's the whole sound of my band. Can this be fixed?

It's a clean break and hardly ANY wood chipped off. Must be the weakest point of the Epi Dot neck. Anyone else have any experience with this?

I'm new here btw and any advice would help. Also wanted to mention that I noticed the frets have significant wear and mainly towards the first 5 or 6 frets. I always wanted to replace those with jumbo or medium jumbo frets. Would that make the neck too thick? It's already like a 2 x 4 with the factory installed frets. One of those guitars that when you bend notes your fingers grab the wood.

Please help thanks!

ReplyQuote
 Crow
(@crow)
Honorable Member

MattBlackPaint,

From what you've described, the thing is probably fixable, although you may see some subtle tonal changes. Maybe you should start a new thread in the "Guitar Repair and Maintenance" forum. There are some excellent craftsmen hanging around there -- and your questions are more legit there than in this particular thread.

"You can't write a chord ugly enough to say what you want to say sometimes, so you have to rely on a giraffe filled with whipped cream." - Frank Zappa

ReplyQuote
(@dimiurg)

Dude, Check out Heritage guitars if you like old Gibsons. I won't tell their story here but it's like getting a vintage Gibson made yesterday! I Love 'em!
btw, tht's a good way out. Heritage guitars are really good

ReplyQuote