Notifications
Clear all

Switching Left Handed Guitar to Right Handed - Issues

2 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@george_guitar14)
Topic starter  

Hi all - I was hoping to get some technical advice on a new Left Handed Fender Strat 1988 67 RI MIJ that I'm interested in buying...

The current guitar I'm looking at was originally for a left handed person (I am a left handed player) but the current owner had the nut switched so he could play it righty. Because he did that he's selling it for well below market value. However, it almost seems too low (about $700).

My intention is to buy the guitar and have it switched back to left handed. However before I do so when I go look at the guitar I want to make sure that nothing else has been tampered with or switched which would cause a headache or make the guitar lose value / tone. Is there anything in particular I should look out for? Electronics that may have been switched? Anything other than the nut?

Any help is very much appreciated - I'm excited to finally upgrade from a squire but don't want to make a poor decision.

Thanks,

George

(@musicus)
Eminent Member

You never know what folks will change. If I were to change a lefty to a righty I might reverse the volume and tone controls, or put a righty tailpc/bridge/trem assembly on it. Make sure the string trees on the headstock are in the right spots. I would also maybe check to make sure the neck didn't get twisted from the reversed strings, but I would think if it did it would self-correct when restrung for left hand use. Might take some time for that, few weeks or months even, and u might need a truss rod adjustment too. If you've never messed with any of that I would advise you to take it to a qualified repair shop. A good gtr tech should be able to get it back to factory specs. I would maybe even take it there before buying it.

"Well, I hope the neighbors like THIS song!"

ReplyQuote