Clear all

Sympathetic Frequency Ring

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@pickgrinlive)
Topic starter  

Hi,

I have a Martin DCX1E and it's been a good guitar to me for the 6 years I've had it, and I can't complain except for the need to lower the action and this: On certain fretted notes I get this sympathetic ring from the guitar that is noticeable at most times when you stop picking a chord or note. It happens mostly on the higher 4 strings: On the D string, 7th fret (A), 12th fret (D), 19th fret (A). On the G string, nowhere. On the B string 3rd fret (D) and 10th fret (A). On the high E, 5th fret (A), 8th fret (C), 17th fret (A) and 20th fret (C). As you see, most are found on the A and D pitches.

Some of them are quiet, but several can be a decent volume and obviously heard as well as annoying when playing a staccato quarter beat strum on a barre chord including one of the notes.

An important note is that this is an acoustic electric, and the inside washer is loose on the input jack that is at the bottom of the body, centered. I have tried to tighten it with my own hand when the strings were removed, but can't quite get to it. At one point, to see if it was causing it, I loosened it all the way and let it ride back on the cable that is threaded through it that runs from the jack to the battery powered preamp box. The sympathetic ringing still remained the same, so I went ahead and tightened it as much as I could, but it still remains loose. It doesn't shake around inside the guitar, but it doesn't allow the outside of the guitar part of the jack to remain still, because its job is to create that tight seal for the piece hanging on the outside.

So, I really don't think it's the loose washer, but I figured to add that.

I greatly appreciate any help on this annoying problem, thanks.

(@pickgrinlive)
Topic starter  

Please help anyone, this has been up for a few days. Please? :cry:

ReplyQuote
 Ande
(@ande)
Prominent Member

Hard to help a lot- we'll do our best! Be patient though, a lot of the real pros are hardworking family types- the forum doesn't get checked as often as we'd sometimes like! ;-)

Here's what makes your problem hard, though- It's very likely not hard to fix, just hard to find! A sympathetic resonance, if that's what it is, could be coming from practically anywhere. As a matter of fact, there's virtually no part of the guitar that can't produce strange unwanted noise from time to time. (Heck, some days, strange unwanted noise is all I get out of any of mine.)

To help us help, you're going to have to narrow it down. What part of the guitar does your noise seem to be coming from? Noise means something is vibrating- what is it? get it making the noise, and move your ear around the guitar, close to it. Is it louder at the headstock? From the body? Near the neckjoint? The bridge? Part of the fretboard? NEar the jack?

Then try muting parts- Does it make the noise if you touch the strings between the nut and the tuners? Does it happen if you are touching the jack? The strings betweeen saddle and bridge? if you're touching the jack? WHen you mute any strings you aren't playing? When you mute specific strings? As you can probably guess, this is a very crude diagnostic- but it works. Whatever it is that's vibrating, won't vibrate when you touch it. Find the part that, when you touch it, stops the problem, and you've found the problem.

A funny note on picking up vibrations- I have a bass amp that had a terrible rattle, every time I played low E- REally annoying, and I couldn't find it for hours. So I took it out to the living room to see better- and it stopped. Turned out, upon investigation, that the light fixtures in my study vibrate to certain notes. (Or did- I've replaced them.) Moral of the story- funny noises come from everywhere- take your time, be patient, and look carefully. Once you find it, this probably isn't going ot be hard to fix.

You also mentioned that your action needs work- if you take it for a good set-up, you could get a good tech's opinion on this...

Best,
Ande

ReplyQuote
 Nuno
(@nuno)
Famed Member

Well, other members can explain it in deep but I think you will always get those kind of sounds. Once I was talking with a friend on a different issue but he understood I was talking about those "sympathetic sounds". It is physics. For example, it is a very typical situation on bass.

You should mute the strings that you don't want to hear, with your right hand or with your left hand.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

Nice guitar, interesting question (sorry about the problem) and good advice so far. I'd focus on that washer before worrying too much - maybe you can get a wrench on the nut inside the end-pin jack, if not, I suppose that a tech will have to do the work, someone with a light touch & respect who will not damage it hopefully. I can't think of another way.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@pickgrinlive)
Topic starter  

It happens when playing one of the frets/notes that it does it on and it more obviously heard when quickly palm muting the strummed notes. The sound comes from the soundhole. A barre chord that contains a few of the notes affected can sound quite annoying to an experienced musician and ear.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

It happens when playing one of the frets/notes that it does it on and it more obviously heard when quickly palm muting the strummed notes. The sound comes from the soundhole. A barre chord that contains a few of the notes affected can sound quite annoying to an experienced musician and ear.

Yes, I see. Well, hopefully it works out for you, and you can get it fixed because that can be bothersome. Nice guitar tho.

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote