Notifications
Clear all

Sympathetic Resonance???

8 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@pilot-b)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone! I'm a first time poster here.

My guitar (Ibanez with floyd rose bridge) has a problem not sure it's called "sympathetic resonance". It is when I play a note sliding from 5th to 7th fret on the 2nd string (B string), the 3rd string (G open string) would ring in resonance. When the resonance occurs, the energy of the B string will transfer to the G string causing it's sustain to die out abruptly. The only way to maintain the sustain is too mute the G string when sliding but this is not a very natural action to my hands.

Could anyone please throw in your advice to help curing this?

Thanks a lot!!!
Bill

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Tough to say exactly how this is transmitted from one string to the other, as there are many possibilities. To troubleshoot, I would try stuffing a little low density foam around the floating bridge to see if that helps. If so, then maybe see if putting a bit of this foam in the center of the trem springs helps.

Other things to check/try: Is the truss rod snug (not loose or rattling)? Tape some coins to the headstock to see if that shifts the resonance. If so, then changing the mass of the headstock in some "decorative" fashion may be your solution (e.g., even changing the tuners could do it!)

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@alangreen)

And sometimes you won't be able to do a thing about it.

When I tune my main concert guitar, it shows the top string as an "A" and to get it to read "E" I have to mute all the other strings and play the top string. I need more hands.

Best,

A :-)

"Be good at what you can do" - Fingerbanger"
I have always felt that it is better to do what is beautiful than what is 'right'" - Eliot Fisk
Wedding music and guitar lessons in Essex. Listen at: http://www.rollmopmusic.co.uk

ReplyQuote
(@pilot-b)
Topic starter  

Thanks a lot for your helpful replies. I'll try the steps as suggested. :D

ReplyQuote
(@oenyaw)
Reputable Member

I put a string tree on my strat to solve that problem with the G-string.

Brain-cleansing music for brain-numbing times in a brain dead world
http://www.oenyaw.com

ReplyQuote
(@pilot-b)
Topic starter  

Hi Oenyaw, would you mind telling me what's a string tree is? I haven't heard of this term before. Thanks.

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

Scroll down this page for pictures of three different sorts of string trees:

http://www.projectguitar.com/tut/pro1.htm

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Hi Oenyaw, would you mind telling me what's a string tree is? I haven't heard of this term before. Thanks.

Doesn't your Ibanez have a locking nut? Doubt you need a string tree with a locking nut. Sounds like maybe a high fret if it only does it doing that. I have also had one of my FR string blocks slip when restringing it and cause some weird noises and problems because the block wasn't sitting in the bridge correctly.

ReplyQuote