Clear all

Tele pup problems.......

8 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@tuscan777)
Topic starter  

Hi

I have recently installed a Dimarzio Chopper T into the bridge of my 96 Mexican Tele.

Now Dimarzio have different coloured wires (why?) but I think I have this correct. White & Black soldered together and taped out of the way, green to the pup selector (bridge lug) and red to volume pot.

The problem I have now is that I get so much background noise when plugged in at playing volume that I'm finding the Tele unusable. Anybody got any ideas what this could be ? Should I go for an extensive shielding exercise ?

All help appreciated.

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Hi

I have recently installed a Dimarzio Chopper T into the bridge of my 96 Mexican Tele.

Now Dimarzio have different coloured wires (why?) but I think I have this correct. White & Black soldered together and taped out of the way, green to the pup selector (bridge lug) and red to volume pot.

The problem I have now is that I get so much background noise when plugged in at playing volume that I'm finding the Tele unusable. Anybody got any ideas what this could be ? Should I go for an extensive shielding exercise ?

All help appreciated.
According to Dimarzio the red is the hot and green and bare wire go to ground which is opposite of what you have. I would just try reversing what you have and see if it makes a difference.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Nils is correct.

Also, for reference, guitarelectronics.com has color codes for many of the more popular pickup brands, and basic to advanced wiring diagrams:
http://www.guitarelectronics.com/category/wiringresources.11pickupcolorcodes/

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@tuscan777)
Topic starter  

Thanks people.

However, I have swapped over the green and red wires as, in Dimarzio's guidelines, they indicate this should be done to prevent out of phase sounds.

Still getting the buzz though.... :cry:

ReplyQuote
(@english-one)
Estimable Member

Have you got the right type of pots? I'm sure somebody else would know more than me on the subject, but I have a feeling your average pickups ar 250k, and humbuckers are 500k? Mightbe woth checking to see that it all matches.

Peter

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

What are you grounding to? Are all your ground wires (including the green one :)) going to a common grounding spot such as the back of the vol pot?

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@sin-city-sid)
Prominent Member

Is it a buzz or a hum? Out of phase will sound extremely thin with almost no volume. Also how is your switch wired and are you splitting the coils with other singles(probably)?

Sounds like a cold solder or bad ground.

ReplyQuote
(@tuscan777)
Topic starter  

Cheers for the advice guys.

Ok, slight update on this.....I noticed last night that the buzz only disappears when I touch the input socket on the Tele. Touching the controls/strings etc has no effect and the buzz remains.

Is there anything I can check/do to the input socket to rectify this ?

ReplyQuote