Thinking about building from scratch?

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@teleplayer324)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Check out this site http://www.guitarbuildingtemplates.com/

Immature? Of course I'm immature Einstein, I'm 50 and in a Rock and ROll band.

New Band site http://www.myspace.com/guidedbymonkeys

(@dagwood)
Noble Member

Very Cool Tele.

As a matter of fact I have been. Ever since I started playing guitar I've been completely obsessed with all aspects of our guitar world, from learning how to play to learning about all the gear and what different things do and sound like from guitar types to amps to effects etc. I've also sought out local venues where they host open mics and I have to say to my surprise there's some great, great talent here in my own city.. (as I'm sure there are most everywhere). Most of the music I've found I wouldn't normally buy off the shelf, but it is quality folk and blues I've found so far.

I started looking around online for info about the different tone/exotic woods and they're properties and to my delight I've found many sources right here and CLOSE to my home in Oregon. Then I searched local builders (Luthiers) and WOW! There quite a few of those, not only in Oregon, but in Washington state too, so I got bold and emailed a few and asked how they got started in their beautiful guitar making craft. Did they apprentice with anyone? Did they go to a school? One of the fellows, whom I really like his work said he started with a kit. He mentioned a few books that are essential and some catalogs (ie StewMac) to order and get a feel for some of the hand tools etc.

So needless to say I've been trying to design, (only in my head thus far), hows I could set up a little shop in my garage and how the required tools would fit in there, Currently I'm set up to service my motorcycles and park my vehicle in there out of the rain.

Anyhoo, if I had a big goal at this time to "Build" something it would be to make a sweet "000" and a blond, flamed maple archtop but with slash cuts instead of the traditional F-holes. I just love wood and some of these guitar woods are sooooo gorgeous, its a true art form for sure.

OK I'm done dreaming and drooling about the thought. Thanks for the inspiration to allow me to send that out to the Universe as I haven't really shared these thoughts (Dreams) with anyone yet, most of my friends aren't musicians and would just roll their eyes at me if I started this with them. (shrug) Have a nice day :)

Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing. - Wernher Von Braun (1912-1977)

ReplyQuote
(@manitou)
Estimable Member

This is by no means a pipe dream, "almost" anyone can do this. If you have decent hand eye coordination, patience, and some common sense its not a huge deal. It also depends on how you want to build it. If youre going to go with a strat or tele or something there are great kits... But if you want something ground-up custom then youd better have some cash hehe... But to get started first of all get some wood working experience under your belt, wood isint THAT expensive so just order a couple chunks of something cheap and hard like ash, start drawing, start cutting, and eventually youll figure out what works for YOU and I think that makes it more rewarding than any Kit. Also... learn how to spray a finish ASAP. THAT Takes practice hehehehe.
Also something to considder would be apprenticing, maybe theres a local music store that needs some part time help? Ya never know, if you have a good attitude you can learn a ton very quickly by being there. A book is a lot different than having a chunk of wood in your hand, ya know? At any rate, good luck with it.

SHUT UP ABOUT IRON MAIDEN SOLOS AND GO PRACTICE!
-Manitou

ReplyQuote