Clear all

Those pesky Stratocaster bridges

6 Posts
6 Users
0 Likes
(@crazy-dave-miller)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a Mexi Strat with the standart bridge. Every time I break a string it breaks right where the string meets the saddle on the bridge. I assume this is normal and unavoidable (but please correct me if I'm wrong) because that part gets weakened from being bent.
So my problem: the little fraction of a string gets jammed in the little hole it goes through in the tremolo/body and I have to find a small object to dig it out. This is annoying and time consuming. Is there anything I can do to get the remainder just to fall out? I use regular ball-end strings rather than the bullet-end ones Fender recommends (I thought they always recommended them because they make them)

keep rocking the free world
http://www.myspace.com/twilitemotel

(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

Here are two tips, use them and you will almost never break a string playing.

1.) On the nut, get a sharp pencil and rub the tip of the pencil in each spacing on the nut. Graphite is really good lubricant.

2.) On the bridge, smear a tiny bit of vasoline on each bridge saddle, right where the string will touch.

Heres another cool trick I learned from SRV's tech, (I don't do it myself though) if you think your string is breaking from friction in the holes in the tremol bridge. Get some those plastic things on lollypops (the part you hold in your hand), you have to find the ones that are hollow and plastic. Cut them down and place those in the bridge holes. No more friction!

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

ReplyQuote
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

The bullet ends seem to stay in tune better, especially if you use the whammy. I assume that's because they don't 'turn' in place, while a ball end could do that.

I've had a string end jam once on a Strat. I pushed it through with a finishing nail.

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
(@artlutherie)
Noble Member

You might have a burr of some sort right there.

Chuck Norris invented Kentucky Fried Chicken's famous secret recipe, with eleven herbs and spices. But nobody ever mentions the twelfth ingredient: Fear!
ChuckNorrisFactsdotCom

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

The best way to get those nasty broken bits of string out of the hole, is, the next time you change strings, keep the low E string. Cut this up into 4-6" lengths. drop the piece of string into the bridge hole, grab it about 1" above the saddle with a good pair of pliers and push sharply downwards (not too hard, or you'll damage the saddle). After you've done it 2 or 3 times, you'll know exactly how hard to push.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@quarterfront)
Reputable Member

Swap out your Mexi Strat's block for a Callaham; the countersinks for the ball/bullet ends of the strings are set just into the bottom of the block so that the ends will be where you can grab 'em with your fingers. Also, your Strat will sound a bit better. :D

ReplyQuote