Notifications
Clear all

torn foil shielding on Martin Thinline

4 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@kyleknapp)
Topic starter  

I have a Tacoma DR-20 acoustic with a Martin (Fishman) Thinline pickup. While changing strings recently I discovered my saddle was "stuck" in the bridge, (I'm thinking someone spilled pepsi or something on it, wiped it off and didn't tell me, and it seeped into the slot). Like a dummy, I pulled the saddle out, and some of the foil shielding on the pickup came with it. Now I have this awful hum. Fishman's troubleshooting guide says if the foil is torn, replace the pickup. Is there any way I can repair it with some other kind of foil, or will I just have to bite the bullet and have it replaced?

Thanks for any input you might have on the subject.

~kyle knapp

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

it may not be a shield (or merely the shield), but an integral part of the piezo pup -- possibly one of the electrodes that contacts one side of the piezo elements array. you can try to repair it, but I'd replace it. and I usually fix anything that can be fixed, even if just for the challenge. but in this case the spectre of strings on-off-on-off-ad-nauseum tells me it's not worth it.

maybe Fishman will cut you a deal for just the pup element itself if you send them the damaged one.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@kyleknapp)
Topic starter  

well, I brought it to a repair guy this morning. He plugged it in and, guess what! It works fine... no hum, great sound. (He must have a magic touch...)

Now I'm thinking...
either the hum is "intermittant" (wouldn't that be a drag, but not totally unexpected), or
there's a problem with the amp I tried it on (which is not the PA system I normally run it through, I just grabbed my electric practice amp for testing), OR...
I was using a bad cord.

I have a gig on Saturday, so I should find out for real then if it's really okay. (But before the gig I plan to get a soundhole pickup as a backup, just in case).

Thanks again,
~kyle

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

spare pup is a good idea. it could very well be intermittent -- which means it will always works except when you most need it. good luck.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote