Clear all

Total Rewiring.

4 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I'm planning on doing a total rewiring of my project Hagstrom and I need some information on electronics and pickups and stuff.

I have a humbucker for the bridge, and humbucker sized P-90 for the neck. I just bought four 500k pots, a new 3 way swtich, an input jack, and a capacitor for the tone pots. I thought I would need two caps but apparently not. Anyway, I want to know how to go about doing this job. Basically, like a Les Paul wiring system.

A big problem I have though, is that the pickups never came with diagrams, and are not brand name ones, so I don't know the wire code. How can I figure out the wiring?

Thanks,

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

(@handelfan)
Eminent Member

I am also in the stage of rewiring a project guitar, though a different style.

Try going to http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics.shtml

This will let you choose your configuration of pickups and pots and show you wiring diagrams for them in very easy to read formats, even if you don't have seymour pickups.

I am where my mind put me.

ReplyQuote
(@off-he-goes)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the link Handelfan.

http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics/2h_2v_2t_3w.html

This one seems to make sense with what I'm working with, but I thought the capicators were supposed to me wired to the middle lugs of the volume and tone pots. Also that diagram shows many different soldering locations, isn't that a bad thing?

Paul

Vacate is the word...Vengance has no place on me or her...Cannot find a comfort in this world.

ReplyQuote
(@misanthrope)
Noble Member

Also that diagram shows many different soldering locations, isn't that a bad thing?
No, it's only loops that are bad. If you can follow ground from one component, around other components and back to the first one without retracing your steps, you have a ground loop. That diagram doesn't, the bridge tone pot is the 'hub' for the earth/ground and everything is connected to that. Some are extended to the next component, which is why it looks like it might be bad, but if you follow them all you'll see that they don't actually loop back to that bridge tone pot - each component has only one route to the pot.

ChordsAndScales.co.uk - Guitar Chord/Scale Finder/Viewer

ReplyQuote