Tremelo Tuning Blues

3 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Hello all.

I purchased a MIM Fat Strat a couple of months ago. I am having a great time with it. The setup was good right off the shelf. The sound is nice, so all in all a great purchase for me.

The issue I am having is with the tremelo bar knocking the guitar out of tune so easily. It seems I barely touch it and it goes out of tune.

Are there any adjustments or mods I can do to help that short of putting a whole new bridge on it?

Thanks

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

simply "knocking" the trem bar should not put it out of tune. something is catching or binding. things to check: string installation (do you know how to wrap strings on tuner capstans for proper stability?), string trees and nut for binding, trem pivot point issues (smooth operation?), foreign material in the spring cavity (remove back cover and look. also check for interfering ground wire -- anything touching a spring). this is pretty obvious: anything rusty or corroded is suspect and due to be carefully cleaned and polished.

have you replaced your strings recently? as they wear, strings develop weak spots that stretch and stretch and ... (intonation will be terrible as well).

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@chalkoutline)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

Thanks for the info Gnease. I will check all of the above. I am due for some new strings so that will give me a chance to go over everything really well.

Thanks

Interview guy: What is the source of your feedback?
Neil Young: Volume.

ReplyQuote