Notifications
Clear all

Truss Rod

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@oceanthunder)
Topic starter  

I Was messing around with my guitar today and realized how high the action was so i set about lowering it. i dropped the bridge pieces down several millimeters and lowered teh pickups so prevent edge buzz. after retuning, i was getting alot of fret buzz all along the entire length of the neck on my G and A strings. i figured it was just backbend, do i whipped out my allen wrench and began working on the truss rod. i kept turning the nut until i realized nothing was happening. the nut was engaged because there was a very very slight amount of resistence ( i didnt force anything ), but the allignent of my neck was not changing and my chromatic did not read any change in pitch like it should have when i turned the truss rod.

i dont know what to think, and im heartbroken. ive done this procedure umpteen times on my other guitars, but the one in question has very important personal important to me, and it kills me that it isnt playing the way it should. any help would be greatly appreciated, and thanks in advance.

(@trguitar)
Famed Member

OK, so if you think you had buzz due to back bend you must have been loosening the truss rod right? Unless it's a two way rod, the tension of the strings is what pulls the neck forewards. I say let it set for a while than recheck it.

"Work hard, rock hard, eat hard, sleep hard,
grow big, wear glasses if you need 'em."
-- The Webb Wilder Credo --

ReplyQuote
(@xylembassguitar)
Trusted Member

You might try replacing the adjustment nut (if it's removable); if you're lucky, you just stripped the threads on the nut.

Were you loosening the truss rod or tightening?

Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars

ReplyQuote
(@ricochet)
Illustrious Member

It often does take a day or two for the full effect of a change to be seen, as the wood responds to the change in tension.

"A cheerful heart is good medicine."

ReplyQuote