Clear all

Tuning a Squier 3/4 Mini-Strat

5 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@jwmartin)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Do you tune the 3/4 scale guitars the same as a full size? I can't find any clear answers.

Thanks!

Bass player for Undercover

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

One guy here, Mike I believe, got a Mini-V guitar and said it came tuned to standard tuning, but starting on G instead of E. The thread is in the slide and alternate tunings section.

ReplyQuote
(@toobmasta)
Eminent Member

There aren't any clear answers because it's really up to YOU!

If you want to tune it to E like a full size guitar, that's OKAY! Just use heavier strings. You could just start with the size of the B string from your favorite strings set on a standard size guitar. Use that as the size of the high E for the set you buy for the mini. That way you will have the right tension on the strings.

If you use extra-light or super-light strings on a mini, you will HAVE TO tune it higher, or the strings will be so loose and floppy you will lose tone and sustain. A 3/4 scale guitar, tuned up a perfect 4th (high E tuned to A) will have the same tension on the strings, as a full-size tuned normally.

So, just decide how you want to tune your mini, and then select the size strings.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@toobmasta)
Eminent Member

There aren't any clear answers because it's really up to YOU!

If you want to tune it to E like a full size guitar, that's OKAY! Just use heavier strings. You could just start with the size of the B string from your favorite strings set on a standard size guitar. Use that as the size of the high E for the set you buy for the mini. That way you will have the right tension on the strings.

If you use extra-light or super-light strings on a mini, you will HAVE TO tune it higher, or the strings will be so loose and floppy you will lose tone and sustain. A 3/4 scale guitar, tuned up a perfect 4th (high E tuned to A) will have the same tension on the strings, as a full-size tuned normally.

So, just decide how you want to tune your mini, and then select the size strings.

Good luck.

Can anyone tell me how to delete this post? My screen didn't update when i hit submit, so i hit it again. Now, I have 2 posts. I can edit either one, but I can't figure out how to delete one!

Thanks in advance,

TM

ReplyQuote
(@coloradofenderbender)
Noble Member

My 8 year old has a Squier Mini Start, and we use standard tuning on it, with D'Addario 9s on it. Sounds fine and although the strings are definitely a little looser than my full size Strat, it sounds fine. AND, the loose, light strings are more forgiving on his small hands.

ReplyQuote