Notifications
Clear all

upgrading electronics

6 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter  

Hi everyone! I'm looking to upgrade the electronics on my guitar but don't really know where to look. I heard RS guitarworks upgrade kits are the way to go but I'm not sure that I am willing to spend $80 for the kit + shipping fees + customs fees. Are there any good alternatives, other upgrade kits, or online sites where I can buy the components in parts? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!

(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member

You'll need to give us some more info....what kind of guitar do you have? What do you desire that the current guitar lacks? Is it noisy? Do the pickups not have the 'ummmphhh' you want?

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

ReplyQuote
(@chris-c)
Famed Member

+1 to what NotTheGuy said. The first step in the chain is to know what you want to change and why you want to change it. Can you give some more info?

I'm not sure that there's really such a thing as just a universal 'upgrade'. It's more like a sound change of some kind, and the possibilities are very wide ranging. For instance you could make a welcome difference by replacing a tone pot or pickup switch if the old one was faulty, but you might hear little or no difference from simply fitting more expensive ones. Pickups can make a big difference to to the sound - but the issue is "from what to what?". Unfortunately, none of the new bits come pre-loaded with talent :cry: (I did ask when I bought my first new pickup...) So unless you have a reasonable idea of what sound you want to get, and why you don't have it now, then I'd be cautious about spending the money.

Can you tell the difference between the sound of one model or quality of pickup and another yet? Assuming that the same person is playing through each of them (preferably you). If so, is there a particular one that you think would suit you better? It's a fascinating area, and a lot of fun to work on, but it's good to have some ideas where you're headed first if you don't want to waste some of your dough...

Chris

ReplyQuote
(@the-dali)
Noble Member

I can't recommend someone more than this guy:

http://www.tfntechnologies.com

The guy does AMAZING work and his harnesses coax more sounds than you'll ever need from your guitar.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@Anonymous)
Topic starter  

Thanks for your input guys.

I do hear a difference between pickups, at least between cheap and expensive ones. I have an Epiphone G400 (the SG model) and I have custom pickups that I want to install in it. Some people said that I should upgrade the electronics at the same time to take full advantage of the pickups. Even the guy I ordered the pickups from told me I should upgrade them (even though he doesn't sell parts). There is some scratching noise when I roll the tone knobs, so if I'm to change the caps, I think I might as well change the whole thing, especially since Epiphone uses cheap parts.

Thanks for that link Dali Lama, I will check it out.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Thanks for your input guys.

There is some scratching noise when I roll the tone knobs,.

Try cleaning them first, with electrical contact cleaning spray like De-Oxit. Ibanez uses cheap parts too, but my pots seem good as new now that I spritzed 'em.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote