Clear all

Upgrading humbucker PUPS on Ibanez artist

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@nottheguy)
Estimable Member
Topic starter  

I really like classic rock tone (Slash, Page, etc) and am thinking about replacing the PUPS in my Ibanez artist AR-250 (similar build as a LP - Mahogany body - maple cap - rosewood fingerboard)

I am leaning towards Seymour Duncans:

Alnico II for the neck
Pearly Gates or custom-custom for the bridge

I really want the Slash tone (heavy, crunchy, and bluesy)

Any other recommendations or suggestions?

Its a great thing when you realize you still have the ability to surprise yourself.

(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

What type of amp and equipment are you using? Analyze your signal chain. Everyone will have a different opinion when it comes to guitar signal chains and that quest for tone, this is mine. "All tube amp first, equalizer second, attenuator third". Working from that platform would be money better spent. I'm not trying to be negative here, just underlining the way to get that cranked overdriven guitar killer tone you hear on so many recording.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Change them if you'd like, but I agree with Joe, the amp and effects chain are probably far more important in achieving the tone you want.

About 25 years ago, I owned one of the original Artists upon which yours is based. A beautiful instrument, but I never thought the tone was all it could be. I changed pups to no avail (the Super 80 Flying Finger pups that were original on that axe are these days considered good stuff). Eventually, I changed guitars. It wasn't until some time later that I realized my problem was the amplifier. A friend lent me a good Fender tube amp, and viola -- great tone.

I recommend you take your Artist to a store and try it out with various amps before making any changes to the pups. You may find out the same thing I did -- but before you change the pups or dump the guitar.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Guitar sound, if you leave out probably the most important factor - the guitarist, is a chain of independent parts that comes together to produce a composite.
The chain starts with the plectrum (pick). Different thicknesses and different materials will produce different tones, from the strings. Varying the angle of the plectrum and the attack will produce differernt results.
Strings. Different manufacturers, different gauges and flat-/half-round/ roundwound strings will all alter the end result.
Pickups, as you so rightly say, will make a difference.
The guitar lead/cable/cord. Good quality cable, jacks and solid connections will all have an effect on "your sound". Thin wire, crappy jacks and poor connections will kill the dynamics.
The amp. Deep waters, these. Some amps seem to suit some guitars better than others. Not science, but experimentation.

Yes, experimentation. Have you tried all combinations of string and plectrum, yet? Have you tried using other things than "real" plectra, such as coins, washers, etc. I made a plectrum out of a piece of copper pipe. I often strum with the plastic spacer for a door handle. Both produce radically different results. What kind of cable do you use? Have you tried others?

On many guitars, shielding gives better results than replacing the pups.

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote