Clear all

upgrading my 1973 Univox 335

4 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@cistec)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I am thinking about upgrading my 1973 Univox 335 greenburst but need advice from somebody who has done it or knows about them.

I want to upgrade my pickups to Seymour Ducans or 57 hummies
I want to upgrade my bridge (i have a floating one at the moment)
I want to upgrade the tuners as well
I have a bigsby sort of tremolo thingy on there will that be a problem?

Firstly is it worth it? and secondly will it make much difference. It sounds crap at the moment no matter how I tune it.

any advice is welcome! anybody who has one and done it ..please respond so I can make a informed decision.

Thanks to any body that replies!

cistec

(@akflyingv)
Honorable Member

I found this website online http://www.univox.org/guitars/custom335.html and it seems that they have a different routing on them that humbuckers may not fit in. You may want to take it to a guitar tech and have them check it out and find out what will fit.

It could just be a setup problem that is making it sound bad. Good Luck, and that is a really cool looking guitar!

ReplyQuote
(@bmancv-60)
Estimable Member

1973? You might want to think about leaving it stock, putting it away and getting another guitar; it could be a collector's item someday.

Went through phase where I would trade stuff in just because I got bored and I could. I had a G&L bass back in 84' that I traded for an Explorer copy which I got rid of and never replaced. The G&L is now worth more than $1000; I may have paid $500 plus a cheap trade-in for it. :roll:

"...I don't know - but whasomever I do, its gots ta be FUNKY!"

ReplyQuote
(@geezer_rock)

Here's a link to a project that included swapping out the Coily's original pickups with Humbuckers. They are sized differently, so new pickup rings were required.
http://www.audioartillery.com/projects/univox_coily_repair#6

ReplyQuote