Notifications
Clear all

vol pot problem

7 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@farmic)
Topic starter  

I am new to repairing and installing pickups on guitar. I recently got an EMG 85 and Dragonfire pick up(85 copy). I installed both of them on an old guitar. using the pots and jack that came with the emg pickup.

after soldering everything according to instruction (1 vol, 1 tone, 3 way toggle switch), it didn't really act normal.

It only has sound when i plug half of the cable into the jack. It doesn't have sound at all when the cable is fully plug in. And even though it has sound, the tone knob doesn't work, and the volume pot will work form 1-9, and when it is turned fully clockwise, it turns off the sound.

could anyone help? I have checked numerous times and it seems i have connected everything correctly. could it be the soldering job? (it is not perfect, but everything is connected)

(@the-dali)
Noble Member

Is that EMG active? If so, the circuits are likely to be imcompatible with the Dragonfire passive pup.

-=- Steve

"If the moon were made of ribs, would you eat it?"

ReplyQuote
(@farmic)
Topic starter  

the dragon fire seems to be active as well as it requires a battery to run it.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

It only has sound when i plug half of the cable into the jack. It doesn't have sound at all when the cable is fully plug in.
Is the jack on the guitar a 3 conductor jack (stereo jack)?
If so, you may have connected the output to the "ring" connection, instead of the "tip" connection.

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@farmic)
Topic starter  

thanks for the replies, i found the problem. is now working perfectly fine.

ReplyQuote
(@slejhamer)
Famed Member

Tell us what was wrong; someone else might benefit from knowing.

"Everybody got to elevate from the norm."

ReplyQuote
(@farmic)
Topic starter  

basically, if the braid of one of the pickups wasn't solder well, that situation will appear. (bad soldering job).

ReplyQuote