Wall Hanger

11 Posts
7 Users
0 Likes
 xg5a
(@xg5a)
Honorable Member
Topic starter  

Out of curiousity, is there any long term harm done if one keeps his guitars on wall hangers? I remember seeing somewhere that some damage may be done by hanging from the headstock, but would like to see if anybody has encountered this...

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Mine have been hanging for several years now -- electrics, acoustics, bass -- no problems. The only danger to the headstock I can imagine would be from mounting the hanger too close to the ceiling -- lift and whack!

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

I don't know about any damage from them but a guitar wall hanger has helped me. How? My guitar is hanging on my wall in the computer room. Right when I walk in the room it's staring straight at me and already plugged up with a cord so it makes me want to play more. When I used to have it on as stand it was behind the door and I didn't see the guitar as much.

Also, I'd like to say I love “Off-The-Wall” guitar hangers. Yea, they're a little more expensive ($20) than others, but it has 3 screws instead of two and that means it won't fall off the wall. Further, they're really pretty.

Check it out:

http://www.zzounds.com/cat--3260

They also sell them at Sam Ash…

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

Here's a second for Off-the-Wall brand hangers -- my fave as well.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@corbind)
Noble Member

Now you know if Greg likes 'em, they gotta be good! :D

"Nothing...can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful men with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts."

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

You'll hear pro's and con's on the subject. Along with opinions on hanging expensive collector guitars like that. It comes down to being your decision. The main guitars I use everyday don't get a chance to get any hang time.

Joe

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

With aucostics over time hanging it from a wall is supposed to be bad for the neck. If know my guitar history correctly, Charles Kaman used to hang his Martin on the wall, but that would lead to cracked backs and warped necks. That was part of what lead him to design Ovation guitars, along with his patened Kaman bar that resistes neck warping from weather and hanging.

Yet when you walk into any music store they have aucostic guitars hanging on the wall, so mabye its just a Martin thing, or mabye it just takes years before problems start.

For electrics, though, You're fine. If SRV can ride on his guitar like a surfboard, I'm sure you can hang yours on your wall.
8)

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

With aucostics over time hanging it from a wall is supposed to be bad for the neck. If know my guitar history correctly, Charles Kaman used to hang his Martin on the wall, but that would lead to cracked backs and warped necks. That was part of what lead him to design Ovation guitars, along with his patened Kaman bar that resistes neck warping from weather and hanging.

Yet when you walk into any music store they have aucostic guitars hanging on the wall, so mabye its just a Martin thing, or mabye it just takes years before problems start.

For electrics, though, You're fine. If SRV can ride on his guitar like a surfboard, I'm sure you can hang yours on your wall.
8)

Cracked back sounds like a humidity issue -- hanging guitars are at the mercy of room humidity.

Also, why would an acoustic's neck warp, but not an electric's neck if hung? After all, lots of electrics have mahogany necks too. The "hanging warps necks" argument sounds like a close relative of the "leaving the strings off warps necks" story.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@greybeard)
Illustrious Member

Sounds to me like he was hanging them next to the wood burning stove. He didn't by any chance also say that hanging acoustics from the wall made the insides of his legs red and blotchy, did he?

I started with nothing - and I've still got most of it left.
Did you know that the word "gullible" is not in any dictionary?
Greybeard's Pages
My Articles & Reviews on GN

ReplyQuote
(@e-sherman)
Reputable Member

I went back and re-read the article and it appears that it was more the changing conditions that having your guitar out all the time entailed.

The king of rock, some say lives
the lizard king, is surely dead
the king of France, lost his head
the King of Kings... bled
( email me at esherman@wideopenwest.(com). I almost never check my hotmailaccount.

ReplyQuote
(@stevedabear)
Estimable Member

$20 dollars for one ! wow, thats horrendous for a cheapscate like me... i got some scrap would i found and made one with a couple of screws attatching the arms, and two juicy screws to go into the wall... works like a dream :D

For my shitey old electric that i use, i have no problem with hanging it up on the wall... when i get my new baby though i might kind of keep it in a sealed air tight container.. lol

( mine hangs up above my amp as well, in my room, so i just yank it off the wall and i'm away :D )

ReplyQuote