Clear all

warped neck

3 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
(@hobozcar2000)
Trusted Member
Topic starter  

Ok so on my 51' the neck is warped near the lower frets. The action is set VERY HIGH right now because it mutes on the second and third frets if I bring the action down. How can I fix this problem myself considering that I'm in Korea right now and can't run to the local Guitar Center and have them do it. Thanks for all your help.

(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

sounds like "negative" relief, a.k.a. backbow. you probably have an overtighted truss rod - either out of the box (assuming you didn't change it) or due to change in temp/humidity. since this sounds moderately severe (but not fatal by any means), start by loosening (counter clockwise) the truss rod adjustment about 1/2 turn. to make this easier, loosen the strings a bit, adjust the truss rod, then retune. lightly tap the back of the neck with your knuckles ("knock knock") to help settle the adjustment, then let it settle further for a day or so in its normal environment (temp/humidity), reset the action (bridge height) and check everything. if necessary, repeat above using 1/4 turn adjustments either looser or tighter, depending upon what's required. ... or take it to a tech for a setup, including neck relief (truss rod). good luck.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@rparker)
Illustrious Member

I've used Nil's setup page quite often and have it favorited and printed out. http://home.nycap.rr.com/nils/BasicGuitarSetup.htm Kind of expands a little bit on what gnease was describing. Only odd-ball tool needed is a set of feeler guages. (about $10 at any auto parts store)

Roy
"I wonder if a composer ever intentionally composed a piece that was physically impossible to play and stuck it away to be found years later after his death, knowing it would forever drive perfectionist musicians crazy." - George Carlin

ReplyQuote