Skip to content
Warped neck, new ha...

Notifications
Clear all

Warped neck, new hardware or just intonation?

6 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

I have an acoustic that obviously needs an intonation (it's got high action too, but i like it that way), but recently i've been looking at the guitar while it's hanging on the stand and the neck looks like it could be warped. How do I check this?

Steve-0

Nils
(@nils)
Famed Member

Short of a few straight edges you can set the body of the guitar on the floor with it facing away from you and look down the neck from the headstock. You are looking for the relationship between each side of the fretboard and the body. They should be pretty close to even with the body.

Nils' Page - Guitar Information and other Stuff
DMusic Samples

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Sorry, maybe I'm a bit confused as to what a warped neck is exactly. When I look at the guitar it almost seems like the neck has a bend in it around the 3rd or 4th fret, when i'm looking at the guitar from a side view. I checked the both sides of the neck in relation to the body and it seems like it is alright, but again i'm not sure because i'm not totally sure what i'm looking for. Unfortunately I can't take any pictures (i don't have a camera or a scanner), do you have any links that might show what a warped neck looks like? I'm just a bit confused.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@gnease)
Illustrious Member

When you say warp most of us are thinking twist. I believe that's why Nils instructed you to sight down the neck -- to look for twisting. A bend as you describe it, especially around the fourth fret is usually called relief, and is a forward bend caused by the pull of the strings. This can usually be remedied by a truss rod adjustment, though some relief is actually okay for many guitars.

-=tension & release=-

ReplyQuote
(@steve-0)
Noble Member
Topic starter  

Looked down the neck and it looks decent, Thanks alot, I might get a second opinion about the neck when i have this guitar set-up since i'm not a guitar tech.

Steve-0

ReplyQuote
(@wes-inman)
Illustrious Member

Steve-0

I'll see if I can word this so you understand.

Look down the neck from the headstock to the body. Is the headstock parallel to the body? This is how you tell warp or twist. The headstock should be parallel to the body, not tilted to the left or right.

Now look down the neck toward the body on the edge of the neck (where the frets are). There should be a slight upward curve in the neck. It should be very slightly concave. This is your relief. This is adjusted with the truss rod.

When a truss rod is too tight it causes the neck to go convex. The headstock will be forced downward. This will often cause fretbuzz from the 1st to 5th frets.

When the truss rod is too loose the neck will go too concave (headstock comes up). If it is too concave you can get fretbuzz usually between frets 5 through 12.

But even if you are not getting fretbuzz, if the neck is too concave you will have very high action, making the guitar difficult to play.

If you are not comfortable with making adjustments yourself then go to a reliable music store and have them set it up for you. Setup properly your guitar will play like a dream. :D

If you know something better than Rock and Roll, I'd like to hear it - Jerry Lee Lewis

ReplyQuote