Clear all

Washburn acoustic, cracked heel

5 Posts
2 Users
0 Likes
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

I know someone with a Washburn D-10 CE, and the heel is cracked. Its right where the heel curves, and though the neck is still attached, its a pretty bad crack. How hard and expensive would it be to fix this? What are the options? He wants to sell it for about $50, and I thought that if it were a do-it-yourself matter I could come away with a decent guitar after a little work.

Dan

(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

is it currently strung up to pitch? If the neck is solid and the crack is surface only, go for it. Otherwise don't bother, the thing is $199 new, $100 BIN on ebay, and the last one that finished an auction was $71 without a crack.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Nick, thanks for your reply.
I'm not sure if we're talking about the same model. This is the cut-away, electric version of the D10S, solid spruce top. Also a lefty, and they're going for about $390 new.
To answer your question - its more than a surface crack. He tells me he can tune it to pitch, but its a pain and doesn't stay that way for long.
Here's a link to the same model... http://www.music123.com/Washburn-D10SCELH-Left-Handed-Cutaway-Dreadnought-Acoustic-Electric-Guitar-w-case-516866-i1167461.Music123
Assuming its worse than a surface crack, is it worthwhile to buy it for $50 and fix it? Is it even possible to fix a break of this type?

Dan

ReplyQuote
(@nicktorres)
Illustrious Member

You are right, I had the wrong model. For $50 it's worth a shot.

If it can be tuned to pitch, here's what I'd do. Get some Titebond and a business card or two, tune the guitar up to pitch and force as much titebond in as you can. Put a good bead over the crack and push it down with your finger, use the business card or something else thin if the crack is large enough to force the glue deeper. Once you are satisfied you've got the glue in as deep as you are going to get it, release all the tension in the strings and wipe up the excess glue with a damp cloth.

I'm not sure you need to clamp it at this point, but it couldn't hurt. Put a piece of scrap wood or a thick coaster on the fretboard so you don't dent it.

Leave it overnight and try tuning it again. See what happens.

Heck, with the tuners, nut, saddle, and electronics you've almost got $50 of materials to work on your next guitar with.

Good luck.

ReplyQuote
(@guitarhack)
Reputable Member
Topic starter  

Nick, thanks for the idea. Not only does it sound like it may work, but I hadn't even considered the parts I would have (electronics, tuners, etc.) even if it doesn't! Much appreciated. I think I'll go for it.

Dan

ReplyQuote