Clear all

way outta tune all the time

5 Posts
3 Users
0 Likes
Wingnut
(@wingnut)
Topic starter  

i just put nylon strings on my guitar and it will not stay in tune for more than a few seconds.... what can i do to correct this? :evil: i had to tie knots in the ends to use the strings as per instructions here.... could this be part of the problem??

please and thanks
wingnut

NoteBoat
(@noteboat)
Illustrious Member

Nylon strings stretch for a long time.

On the other hand, once they settle, they last a long time - oils and dirt from your fingers won't affect nylon strings the way they do steel. (In fact, some manufacturers sell nine-string sets for classical - two sets of bass strings, one set of treble - because your bass strings will lose tone first, and why replace perfectly good trebles?).

Guitar teacher offering lessons in Plainfield IL

ReplyQuote
Wingnut
(@wingnut)
Topic starter  

that's what i thought was going on .... just wanted to make sure...so in other words.... tune it, play it, tune it again... until it plays without needing re-tuning....

any "guestimation" as to how long it takes to settle???

while i'm asking impossible questions.... any hints on how to get this da*n money tree to grow???
:D :D :D :D :D
"sing as if no one were listening, dance as if no one were watching and live every day as if it were your last..."

blessings,
wingnut

ReplyQuote
DemoEtc
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

What I normally do is to hand-stretch the strings after I put a new set on.

After all the strings are on and tuned approximately to pitch, I slip a fingertip under the halfway point of a string (over the 12th fret), and pull it away from the fretboard about an inch or so; just tugging on it gently 2 or 3 times. Then I divide that length up and find a point halfway between the nut and the 12th fret and do the same thing; tugging it outward 2 or 3 times.

Then I find the halfway point between the 12th fret and the bridge and do the same thing. I do it for each string. Nylon or gut strings may require a few more repititions of the process, whereas steel or electric (or bass) strings require maybe just the one time through.

Hope this helps.

ReplyQuote
Wingnut
(@wingnut)
Topic starter  

Thanks I'll give that a try... anything is better than having to tune it in order to tune it!!!

ReplyQuote