Clear all

Whammy Bar Problem

11 Posts
4 Users
0 Likes
(@e-guitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I love to use my whammy bar but when I do the G and B strings seem to make a terrible noise and I'm not sure what is going on? Thanks a lot!

E-Guitar

Classic rock is da best! Van Halen, Jimmy Paige, Jimmy Hendrix, Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC (of course), Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, what more could a guy like me want?

(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Need a bit more info. Can you describe the noise? What kind of guitar & trem setup?

ReplyQuote
(@e-guitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well I know the whammy bar lossens the strings, but the sound is like it is tghtening them. I have an ibanez guitar and sorry I'm a noobie so I don't know what a treb is haha. I suspect tht it might be the strings rubbing against the nut but I'm not sure

Classic rock is da best! Van Halen, Jimmy Paige, Jimmy Hendrix, Ozzy Osbourne, AC/DC (of course), Black Sabbath, Aerosmith, what more could a guy like me want?

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Trem is short for tremolo, which is another name for the mechanism that the whammy bar operates in the bridge.
see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Whammy_bar

There is more than one type of tremolo bridge, and they operate (and adjust) differently.
Some are easy to adjust, some are notoriously hard, even for experienced users.

Does your bridge look like this one?

Or more like this:

Or this:

Or something else?

I wrapped a newspaper ’round my head
So I looked like I was deep

ReplyQuote
(@e-guitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I have a red Ibanez electric guitar just like the last one and the bridge looks just like the one in the last one.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

So it's this one then?

I'm not familiar with that specific guitar, but since it doesn't seem to have a locking nut, it is entirely possible that the strings might make a bit of noise if the nut slots are too tight, or too loose.

Did you buy it at a local music shop? If so, let them take a look at it.
If you bought it somewhere else, do you have a music store nearby that might have a repair person to at least give you an estimate on fixing it up?
If it's just a nut slot problem, it should be a cheap fix.

Anyone else got anything?

ReplyQuote
(@katmetal)
Prominent Member

Anyone else got anything?

Well, he said the G and B strings are making the noise. Those are not wound...I was thinking maybe the wound strings were making noise in the nut, but without more info. on "what" the noise is exactly, I am kinda shooting in the dark.

I am good with trem setups, and I have learned to determine different noises coming from the different parts; scrapes, cracking, creaking noises...again, without more info...a sound file would probably be helpful.

ReplyQuote
(@e-guitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Well I was suspecting that it was coming from the nut, I could take it to the store I bought it from and ask them to repair it.

My guitar is this exact one right here: http://www.activemusician.com/item--EM.IJX40MR

I know it is kind of nooby, but it works haha.

ReplyQuote
(@kent_eh)
Noble Member

Well I was suspecting that it was coming from the nut, I could take it to the store I bought it from and ask them to repair it.

My guitar is this exact one right here: http://www.activemusician.com/item--EM.IJX40MR

I know it is kind of nooby, but it works haha.
Did you buy it at a music store, or a general type department store (Sears, Walmart, Costco...)?

A music store will be willing to help you out, probably not the other kind of store.

ReplyQuote
(@blue-jay)
Noble Member

All good points, excellent dialogue and pics - I don't feel worthy with a two-liner, but what about changing strings, especially if original, and no-brand, if they came on the guitar new. Just a suggestion, in that event. Could work? :?

Like a bird on the wire,
like a drunk in a midnight choir
I have tried in my way to be free.

ReplyQuote
(@e-guitar)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Yes, I got it from Marshall's music store 3-4 years ago. I'm sure they will be willing to help :)

ReplyQuote