Clear all

What makes a good sounding guitar?

9 Posts
5 Users
0 Likes
(@extnguisher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

I'm new to the forum and would like to say HI to everyone and also ask a question....
That may sound like a stupid question to someone, but what's the exact difference between a Squier Strat(by Fender) and a real Fender Strat. Except that one is made somewhere in chine or mailaisia or whatever and second one in america. I know that the sound is better, so the question is, what makes that good sound and is it possible to make a good guitar out of a Squier. Like put new good pick-ups, double-locks so it won't go out of tune and so on. And also, does the wood affect the sound of the electric guitar? If so, I guess I couldn't do much about it... So, if anyone has any suggestions, experience, advice, anything please share it. I need a good guitar and all I have is a Squier and not too much money(definetely not enough to buy a Fender). Looking forward to any suggestions.
:)

(@demoetc)
Noble Member

I don't see why you can't get your Squier to sound good. The suggestions you already have are good ones -- new pickups and whatnot. If you don't use the tremolo, then maybe you could have it 'blocked' so it wouldn't go out of tune. I've heard some Squiers are horrible, while others are wonderful, but to me at least, you can pretty much get any brand or type of guitar to play and sound good with a little care and setup.

Plus it's FUN to work on your own guitar! Especially when you play it afterwards and go 'Woooo!'

On electrics, the wood does have an affect on the overall sound, but not as much as on an acoustic obviously, but if you're playing at a good stage volume or are playing rock or something loud, the subtle differences between types of wood would be pretty much nullified.

Pretty much just have the pups changed out, block the trem, and have fun with it.

Cheers!

ReplyQuote
(@extnguisher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The thing is, I can't block the tremolo, cause I need it to do dives. So, I was thinking of installing those things that lock the strings at the nut and hold them tight in the same position. I've read that this way the guitar can't go out of tune. But is it possible to install them on a guitar that'd come without them and is not supposed to have them? Anyway, I'm gonna go down to a local music store and ask them. And also, are active pick-ups much better than passive ones and what types do they have on the original guitars?

ReplyQuote
(@demoetc)
Noble Member

Oh, okay, yah, like a Floyd Rose or something. They can be retrofitted on just about any guitar. Unless you're really into woodwork and routing, that part is best left to a qualified guitar repairman.

As far as pickups, the vast majority of guitars come with passive pickups. I...I don't really like active pickups that much personally. I have one guitar with actives and I wish it had just normal pickups on it.

That's me though. Lots of people love actives, but as far as one type being better than another, it's again a personal choice sort of thing. The actives have more control tonally because the tone controls and everything are powered up by the battery. It's not just the pickups by themselves, but it's a whole circuitboard thing, and then there's making sure it'll fit in the control cavity, and well, that would also probably be best left to a repairman. There are kits though -- I'm sure someone will chime in on this -- that you can solder up and install yourself.

That's the main thing -- the tone controls actually increase treble or bass instead of just rolling off treble -- that kind of thing.

But yah, have a chat with the music store people, or a luthier if you can find one.

Take care.

ReplyQuote
(@forrok_star)
Noble Member

Hi and welcome,

Yes, everything from what the guitar is made of, to the hardware installed in some way effects the sound and tone. Yes you can have a lock nut installed, different pickups, change the wiring and electronics. Another thought to consider would be the expense, perhaps it would be more economical to buy another guitar with everything you like already to go.

Do get me wrong its fun to experiment and work on your equipment, And this is from someone who's experimented and repaired more than most repair shops. Which ever way you decide to travel will be a positive step forward.

joe

ReplyQuote
(@extnguisher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

The things is, I already have a Squier. It's quite good. At least I like it... It has nice body and doesn't sound bad at all. But does go out of tune when I do dives. So, I guess it would be cheaper and also more fun to install the nut lock and possibly experiment with different pick-ups.
I've read on one web-site that pick-ups, guitar body design and strings make about 95 percent of the sound. Well, it's not exactly the way he put it, but is about the same. So again, another question. Is there any difference between a Squier and a Fender if they have the same pick-ups and strings. Like, if you put the same custom set made by some respectable pick-ups brand on both of them will there be any difference in sound? I mean, they are designed the same way and the wood doesn't affect the sound of an electric guitar all that much, does it? :? I read that David Gilmour used to play Stratocaster with EMG-SA set pick-ups, so what's the point of buying a 2 thousand dollars fender only to change its pick-ups later?
I probably sound silly:oops: , but I'm new to the music world and guitar particularly, and only've been plaing for 1 year. I'm mostly oriented on improving my technique rather than equipment, but I have to start thinking about that too someday, don't I?:)
Please, point me out where I'm wrong... Any information is appreciated. :idea:

ReplyQuote
(@slothrob)
Reputable Member

Well, (opinion time) there isn't much difference between a Squire and a Standard Fender beyond consistancy of finish, quality control, maybe the switches are a bit different, the woodgrain might be nicer on average, the Fenders might tend to have fewer pieces of wood in the body on average. But, if you grab a nicely made squire and a nicely made Fender Standard they aren't going to be much different. And inexpensive guitars can sound great and may sound even better with upgrades to their mechanics
But the sound of the a guitar is an accumulation of factors. A high end Fender, with a one or 2 piece body and a neck with nice woodgrain and tight fit of all the components, and a carerfully filed nut, and a high end bridge, and well levelled frets, and rolled neck edges, and better pots, can sound quite amazing. Before you even plug it in it well still resonate when you strum the strings. It will be easier and more pleasant to play.
But there is a lot of individuality to guitars and you can get amazing cheap ones and dull expensive ones.
I think if I was getting a $2000 Strat, I would order one with the pickups I wanted. But if I had an expensive strat that I thought was real sweet, but needed different pickups, I would switch them out and keep my sweet guitar. If I had a $350 Fender or $200 Squire that I thought was a comfortable well made guitar I would keep it and improve anything that needed improvement. And that's what I have.

ReplyQuote
(@tucker)
Estimable Member

If a guitar has character, you should do anything to keep it. I have a Squier affinity strat that I paid £140 for and a Fender Telecaster that I paid £420 for. I'm about to shell out nearly £500 for a Fender Jaguar. But I know that I'll keep going back to the strat because of the character in it and the way it feels.

ReplyQuote
(@extnguisher)
Eminent Member
Topic starter  

Ok! I think I'm going to keep mine. I really like its sound even without a decent amplifier, besides it's my first electric... :wink:

ReplyQuote