5 Users
0 Likes
(@muchavo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

tips would be great thanks guys

http://audiostreet.net/muchavo

heavens door btw not layla

It must be getting early, clocks are running late....

Paint by number morning sky looks so phony....

Dawn is breaking everywhere light a candle, curse the glare....

Draw the curtains, I don't care 'cause it's all right....

Posted : 15/07/2005 5:32 am
(@wah-wah_junkie)
Eminent Member

Awesome!

You worked well with a wah, bit shaky at times but overall really good

The muting in some places was over the top

"We are all very lucky to live in a
world where there is this much music"

John Frusciante

Posted : 17/07/2005 9:13 am
(@dcarroll)
Reputable Member

sounds cool, It felt like it had direction and feeling. I would drop some of the muting thought. Silence during those parts might sound good, or just vibrato a single note slowly.

You need to listen to Rainy Day Dream Away, on Hendrix's Electric Ladyland alblum. His phrasing with the wah is the bomb.

I've been imitated so well I've heard people copy my mistakes.
- Jimi Hendrix

Posted : 20/07/2005 5:07 pm
(@muchavo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks guys,

especially about the comment about direction,

the muting is a bad habbit i do when i cant think of anything to say

wheres taso?

Posted : 24/07/2005 4:50 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

Taso was watching the female world poker tournament, and Crimson Tide, lol. (Great movie)

Muchavo, I listened to it three times, and as I'm writing, I'm listening to it again.

I think one of the biggest things you need to work on is your vibrato. I can't hear it if its there. (Maybe the Wah is making it so I can't pick it out, but I don't think so.) Vibrato adds worlds of flavor to solos, it seperates the boys from the men (joke).

Also: I think some of your bends go slightly out of tune. It's a minor thing but it can weaken the solo.

The positives: You have really good feeling. I thought this was especially true when it came to volume, going soft at times and then getting louder, things like that. I think the deading of strings applies here, and although you did slightly over use it, I thought it sounded pretty cool. And then when you slipped notes in with the deading, sounded great, good use of the Wah pedal here too. You also know which notes to hit for the most part, and everything sounded like it was in the right place.

I'm playing it again now, and the deading sounds great all the time, except for when you do it for an extended period. For a half second or a second at a time, its a really cool effect.

Something I thought was a negative, but kind of positive: You didn't really use any cliche' licks. It all seemed to be just coming from you. This is a good thing, but to a certain extent I think. It wouldn't be bad to throw in some cliche licks here and there, maybe when you can't think of what to do, instead of doing the muted strings thing, throw in a hendrix or a Slash or a Clapton.

I noticed a few 'mini' themes going around in it, I don't know if that was intentional, but it was cool either way. Establishing a reoccuring theme or patern is something I havn't done yet.

Like I said, I think the biggest thing is the vibrato issue. Really good improv though, especially when you say it's 1st take, not to mention that it's a long time to be doing a solo. Well done, I hope I helped a little.

Taso

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 24/07/2005 5:51 am
(@muchavo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

Thanks taso,

ya my vibrato does suffer alot, any good ways to practice it?

the reason its allcoming from me is cause i never learn any licks from my main influences,

i just jam to their songs, and i jam with other people,

its another weak point, im tring to over come

i started learning the solo to nvember rain a couple of days ago,

what happnes is my attention spans goes downhill after i practice the same lick for a while and i just end up jamming out to the rest of the song

dynamics and reoccuring themes are two of the things iv been focusing on the most lately,

actually i starteed noticing them when i started listening to phish

you can check out the other anastasio, trey anastasio here if you want to

nugs.net

there are some really cool tunes in there that made me change my leads direction from where it was, when i posted layla till now

the biggest thing was catching the groove

thanks again

Posted : 24/07/2005 6:02 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

I don't know if it's a weakness, but it can definitly help your playing. You need to be really inspired by a lick to try and copy it.

One that got me going was: I was watching a live Clapton performance, one of his Crossroads benefits, and he was doing a solo to Layla, and he started doing this move that made me think of a laser blast, and I thought, wow, he's doing that with his guitar. And now I put it into a lot of my solos. You can find a lot of these cliche licks in his first solo in Crossroads.

I don't remember how I got better with the vibrato, I guess the only way I can think of is to just do it.

It's very obvious that dynamics and themes were things you worked on, you use them well.

It's Anastasios, by the way! It's Greek! I'm not really into phish.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 24/07/2005 6:34 am
(@muchavo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

im surprised, he is an amazing guitarist, every one in the band is top notch improvisers, thats all they done for the past 20 years

thanks for the help

Posted : 24/07/2005 11:54 pm
(@yjm_rules)

what song am i meant to be listening to?
layla or knocking on heavens door?

Posted : 07/08/2005 1:32 pm
(@muchavo)
Estimable Member
Topic starter

knocking on heaven door

Posted : 29/08/2005 4:28 am