Notifications
Clear all

2 Cover Songs

26 Posts
12 Users
0 Likes
(@rahul)
Famed Member

That riff is all about the timing, and there's no sense of that in the tab you've posted. My advice would be to practice along with the record - just playing single notes/mutes until you're playing it just right and not thinking about it too much, then go back to getting the full chords in there.

That's it.This is the best way to get the riff right.

Posted : 19/06/2006 7:03 pm
(@pearlthekat)
Noble Member

I have a 15W Crate. And how to a change from clean to dirty mid song without a pedal? I don't own a footswitch and there is no place to plug one in.

my advice is to not worry so much about trying to sound like nirvana...in other words you don't have to bring on the distortion mid-song just because they do. learn to play the song your own way. find a sound you like that you think expresses the song or expresses how you hear the song or doesn't express anything in particular you just happen to like it. it's more important to find your own voice than it is to play something exactly...

Posted : 19/06/2006 11:56 pm
(@oktay)
Reputable Member

I have a 15W Crate. And how to a change from clean to dirty mid song without a pedal? I don't own a footswitch and there is no place to plug one in.

my advice is to not worry so much about trying to sound like nirvana...in other words you don't have to bring on the distortion mid-song just because they do. learn to play the song your own way. find a sound you like that you think expresses the song or expresses how you hear the song or doesn't express anything in particular you just happen to like it. it's more important to find your own voice than it is to play something exactly...
I agree and would like to add that one need not record the whole piece in one shot either. You can record the clean and distorted sections seperately and put them together in software. (You can even play everything cleanly in one shot if that's the way you like it and add software effects to sections of it in post-production). Once you get individual pieces right in this fashion without worrying about when you're supposed to switch to distortion or how to do it mid-song, you can practice bringing the piece to live performance standard.

oktay

Posted : 20/06/2006 12:08 am
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

But I like it starts out clean then goes distorted.........it's my favourite part of the song.....

Posted : 20/06/2006 3:25 am
(@minus_human)
Reputable Member

OWA okay I got ya, that's a problem if understand you correct you basically have one channel ? i had the same issue with my ol marshall if i wanted distortion i'd have to crank up the gain and for clean turn it way down again - problem.

Have you considered going to your local shop and trying to negotiate a deal where you can trade in your crate for another amp perhaps? and pay in a minimal difference..

I'm going of topic I know but perhaps it can help.

Also when recording you don't really have to switch from clean to distortion on the fly. record and re-record the clean bit play it back until you think OK that's sweet. Then do the distortion bits section by section until it sounds killer. Paste it together and you'll end up with a killer track

Minus.

And all the things you said to me
I need your arms to welcome me
But a cold stone's all I see

Let my heart go

Posted : 20/06/2006 8:12 am
 Taso
(@taso)
Famed Member

No, she has two channels, but no footswitch, so she'd have to stop playing and press the little button, no good.

I agree with you OWA, that's my favourite part of the song as well. However, someone suggested recording it all on the clean channel, and then adding the effects afterwards.

For example, if you're using audacity, or probably many other recording softwares, you can record it all in clean, then start another track, and play along with it using distortion, then get rid of the distortion parts where they dont belong and the clean parts where they don't belong, etc.

Or, you can use the software's distortion and add it where it belongs...Or, you can just use the foot pedal. The sound isn't really the problem, it's the rhythm.

Do you have powertab? That's a great program and it might help you with this song.

Do you have AIM or MSN? I could record my self playing a slowed down version, that may also help.

http://taso.dmusic.com/music/

Posted : 20/06/2006 5:27 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Taso is right, I do have a distortion channel but would have to stop playing to switch to it.

I do have powertab and that's actually what I play along with, sometimes the CD too, but the powertab has a visual component as well. My MSN is [email protected] if you want to add me.

I really appreciate your help in this. It is my favourite song and I really really really wanna learn it.

Posted : 20/06/2006 5:47 pm
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

OWA,
There was a good article on SLTS way back in Guitar World June 2005. It was one of the first guitar magazines I bought (ooh, Nirvana!) and it was way the heck beyond me at the time. Went back to it a couple months ago and found to my surprise that I could kind of manage it. Worked on it a while and can do it pretty well now. Part of the explanation they gave on how to play it is to use pendulum strumming. So keep your hand moving all the time, and just hit the strings on the appropriate beats. Sounds simple, eh? It goes something like this. Keep your hand moving as the U D U D line shows, and hit the strings as the chords are shown. Start slow. It also helped me at first to ignore the percussive strikes (and some of the other ones too).

F F B B O | A A D D O <= hit (bare bones)
F F F X X X B B B B O | A A A X X X D D D D O <= hit (that's more like it)
D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U | D U D U D U D U D U D U D U D U <= move
1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a | 1 e & a 2 e & a 3 e & a 4 e & a <= one-ee-an-ah-two-ee-an-ah...

You know all the chords already, but for the record, F is really an F5 power chord, B is really a Bb (or Bb5), A is really an Ab5, D is really a Db (or Db5) I just used one character so it would line up right... O is open, just hit the strings while you're moving your hand to the next chord. X is muted. Since this _is_ the hear here forum, I'll post mine (just a couple bars worth). I also attempted the clean=>dirty transition, and it worked ok. Crate VC20 amp, homemade tubescreamer. http://home.earthlink.net/~gmtarr/deoderant.mp3

HTH, OWA...

TZ

Posted : 21/06/2006 1:07 am
(@apoxx)

This is a cool little SLTS(and several others) lesson...

http://freelicks.net/Nirvana_Smells_like.htm

"GO BIG RED!"

Posted : 21/06/2006 8:00 pm
(@timezone)
Estimable Member

Hey Apoxx, glad you had that link. I watched those videos a while ago and they're quite good, but couldn't remember where I'd found them.

TZ

Posted : 21/06/2006 10:30 pm
(@anonymous)
Illustrious Member
Topic starter

Hello, or as we say back home, what business is it of yours?

I took TimeZone's suggestion of keeping my hand moving and wanted to know if I got the rhythm right. I'm pretty sure I do but wanna make sure before I go through the trouble of learning to strum the song this way.

And if it is the right rhythm: TimeZone, you are a genious.

Posted : 15/07/2006 1:44 am
Page 2 / 2